This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

DS Shin ‘15 (Creator and Director of Jam Sesh)
Major: RTVF/Economics
Hometown: Seoul, South Korea
Birthday: July 13, 1992
Campus Living: Allison
Relationship Status:Single

What made you want to start a music reality show?
I’m an RTVF major, so I’m really into films and TV shows. But I’m a little different from other RTVF people. I didn’t watch all of IMDB’s top 100 movies. What I really like about the media is how it interacts with a lot of people and how it entertains so many people with one thing. So I wanted to try something new to entertain myself and entertain the student body. The first week I came to Northwestern, I watched some of the a cappella and dance shows and I really liked them. I wanted to have more opportunities to watch them, but then I realized I didn’t have much time to go because I had to go to weekly film sets and stuff. So I just wanted to make that into a reality show where we can just film (music acts) and have a weekly show about that. After going to Dance Marathon Battle of the Bands and other musical and theater shows, I realized that there is a lot of variety when it comes to musical talents (at Northwestern), so I wanted to have all different genres of music in the show as well.

Tell me more about Jam Sesh.
It’s kind of like NU’s Got Talent. We have five different acts. We have a pop singer, we have a rapper, an a cappella group, a punk rock group. And then we have a chill band. I’m not too sure about the genre of that group. They’re completely different types of people. They’ll all have a different perspective on music. So we gave them one challenge song, “Living in the Now,” which is on our Facebook page. Like the page! They will adapt the song in all different ways and they’re going to perform it in front of a live audience. People who are in the live performance and people who view the show online are going to vote for the winner. The winner will get the music video.

What other things are you involved on campus?
I’m mostly on film sets. On film sets I’m usually on the production designing team. I like graphic designing a lot so I’m kind of the go-to person for graphic designing when it comes to RTVF freshmen.

What are your future career goals?
To be honest, the media industry is changing so fast right now. Even in just TV shows, the trend is changing so fast. So I will have to see for my future career goals, but as for my intern fantasy, I will like to work at WWE someday.

Any guilty pleasures?
(WWE) goes into guilty pleasures. My guilty pleasure is watching Monday Night Raw live through internet streaming on Mondays.

Pet peeves?
It’s worst in the city, but even in Evanston, the wind is just so strong. I’m growing out my hair a little bit but (the wind) messes it up so much. So I try to fix it up every time, but it gets messed up even more. So I’m really pissed off that whenever I’m walking this happens.

What do you find most attractive in a girl?
I’ve been watching WWE for a really long time and my idol is actually the Seven-time Women’s Champion, Trish Stratus. I like self-determined women with power. I like smart, sexy and powerful. And long hair. Long hair flipping.

What’s your biggest turn off in a girl?
I really don’t like nagging girls who try to depend on guys. My ex-girlfriend was so thin. Whenever I held her hand, I felt like holding a tree branch. So no thin.

What’s your idea of a perfect date?
If I like someone, I like whatever I do with that person.

What are some words you live by?
For now, Jam on!

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.