Dressing For Windy City Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

We’ve arrived at yet another transition season in Evanston. We’ve been getting plenty of sun, making us even more eager for summer, while still experiencing some harsh windy days. It’s always tricky to dress for the weather during this time of the year without being left either too cold or too hot. Here are some easy tips to help you through these tough times that will also keep you up-to-date with some of this year’s hottest spring trends!

Tip #1: Layer knee-high socks or sheer tights under your summer shorts, skorts and skirts.

If the weather’s nice enough for you to start wearing your summery shorts and skirts, but still a little too chilly for bare legs, opt for some light and thin legwear. Try taking a bold risk by pairing over-the-knee socks with your short shorts that are going to make your legs look miles long, or pull on some classic knee high ones for a preppy look. If you love the comfort of tights, try some sheer lace or polka dotted ones that will keep your legs warm but still leave room for them to breathe. For this spring, don’t worry about your shorts “matching” your tights. Mix up the patterns, colors and textures for a fun, youthful look. An unexpected clash is très chic!

Bottoms (left to right):
1.      Topshop Aztec Printed Shorts, $60
2.      Modcloth On an Escarole Skirt, $34.99
3.      Topshop Flock Heart Knicker Shorts, $72
4.      Topshop Earth Printed Dip Black Skirt, $64

Legwear (left to right):
1.      Betsey Johnson Shiny Slouchy Thigh High, $22
2.      Modcloth Jukebox Tights in the Twist, $34.99
3.      Hunter Striped Short Sock, $25
4.      Roper Lacey Tights, $20

Tip #2: Throw on denim over your perfect spring outfit.

Denim makes the perfect transitioning piece that comes handy when the weather is moody. For instance, a cropped denim jacket worn over an airy summer dress is a fool-proof combo for any occasion. A thicker denim jacket is perfect for those windy or rainy days, but when the weather gets warmer, a denim vest or a lighter denim button-up is going to add a casual, bohemian touch to any outfit you’re wearing underneath. If you’ve always been one to throw on a cardigan over everything, try the same with denim. Denim on denim is tricky, though, so try avoiding it if possible.

From left to right:
1.      Forever 21 Headdress Crop Denim Jacket, $32.80
2.      Old Navy Women’s Raw-Edged Denim Vests, $34.94
3.      Oasis Denim Jacket, $87.26
4.      Quiksilver Third Bay Shirt, $59.50

Tip #3: Leave your legs to the imagination.

The warmer season might get you excited to wear those floral dresses and skirts that have been hanging in your closet for too long, but the Chicago weather doesn’t always make it practical for us to show bare legs just yet. Luckily, maxi dresses and maxi skirts have been hitting it big on the runway for the past two summers. Maxi dresses instantly create a dressed-up outfit with minimal effort. Maxi dresses worn with your simple v-necks scream spring, while having your legs protected from the wind under some soft, flowing fabric. Look for these trendy pieces in a bright hue or a fun pattern to make a statement.

Dresses (left to right):
1.      Forever 21 Abstract Print Maxi Dress, $22.80
2.      Forever 21 Floral Flutter Maxi Dress, $29.80
3.      Forever 21 Strapless Tribal Maxi Dress, $16.50

Skirts (left to right):
1.      Forever 21 Satin Maxi Skirt, $24.80
2.      MinkPink Bad Romance Maxi Skirt, $39.99
3.      Mango Pleated Maxi-Skirt, $44.99

Tip #4: The Classic Trench

Trench coats have been a closet staple for many since Burberry made it famous, and for good reason. It’s the perfect transitioning piece that complements any outfit- whether it’s a jeans-and-t-shirt day or a fancier dressed-up occasion. A khaki trench is a classic that is worth investing in, but you can always opt for ones in vivid hues for a pop of color as well. If you’re like me and you would never call a raincoat fashionable, look for a water resistant trench that will be the perfect stylish add-on on the rainy days.

left to right:
1.      Michael Michael Kors Twill Classic Trench W/ Belt, $89.99
2.      Charlotte Russe Basic Belted Trench With Hood, $27.99
3.      Forever 21 Belted Trench Coat, $37.80
4.      Calvin Klein Belted Trench Coat With Removable Lining, $79.99

Tip #5: Protect your feet.

Flats can be worn year round, but spring is the perfect season to slip out of your winter boots and channel comfort and style in some dainty flats. There are so many different types of flats that any girl can find one that suits her style. Toms are staples for the minimalistic, ballet flats for the girly, moccasins for the bohemian, and loafers for the sophisticated girl. Remember to look for ones that cover your toes and the top side of your feet for some warmth. You’re one step away from breaking into your summer sandals- enjoy this waiting period in style!

From left to right:
Top row:
1.      ASOS LORI Tassle Loafers with Contrast Sole, $32.72
2.      Topshop Vibrant Yellow Ballet Pumps, $32
3.      Toms Washed Twill Flat Shoes, $72.72
4.      Minnetonka Kilty Suede Moccasins, $39.95

Bottom row:
1.      Minnetonka Thunderbird Softsole Moccasin, $40
2.      River Island Canvas Chain Loafers, $39.99
3.      ASOS LEIGH Patent T-Bar Ballet Shoes, $45.45
4.      Toms Yellow Palmetto Women’s Classics, $54

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo