Dressing For Unpredictable Fall Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Dressing for the transitioning weather can be tricky, especially in Chicago when the temperature drops unexpectedly towards the end of the day. Here are some tips on wearing some of your early fall clothes while still being warm as we slowly brace ourselves for the winter snow. Enjoy the fall warmth while you can!

1.      Layering is key

( Photo credit: thecelebritystyleandfashion.onsugar.com)

The best way to be prepared during the unpredictable transitioning weather is to dress in layers. It may be warm during the day, but as nighttime comes the temperature will most likely drop. Start off with your basic tank top or tee, add a cardigan or sweater over it, and take a warmer jacket to be worn on top of that. If you feel like the layering makes you look a little bulky, belting your cardigan or sweater is a good way to add some shape to the body.

(Old Navy Women’s Perfect V-Neck Tees, $8.50)

(Old Navy Women’s Shawl-Collar Cardigans, $39.94)

(Missselfridge,com Faux Suede Borg Jacket)

2.      Carry around a scarf with you

(Photo credit: harpersbazaar.com)

You don’t need bulky wool scarves that take up a lot of space just yet. All you need is a light scarf long enough to cover your neck. You will be amazed by how much warmer you feel with your neck covered with a light scarf. During the day, you can wrap your scarf around your bag, which acts as a cute handbag accessory as well. When the temperature drops, wrap it around your neck and you’re set for the night.

(Forever21 Metallic Rose Scarf, $8.80)

(asos.com Warehouse Baroque Animal Scarf,$39.53)

[pagebreak]

3.      Pants are not your only option. Pair sweater tights/leggings with your dresses, skirts and shorts.

(Photo credit: mariannan.indiedays.com)

You probably don’t want to be in bare legs on a chilly night, but this doesn’t mean you have to always opt for pants either. You can still wear your summer dresses, skirts and shorts if you pair them with some thick sweater tights or leggings. Just cover your shoulders with your staple trench coat or leather jacket to complete the perfect outfit for the transitioning weather.

(modcloth.com Tights for Every Occasion in Navy,  http://www.modcloth.com/store/Modcloth/Womens/Accessories/Socks+Tights/T…$14.99)

(Urban OutfittersPointelle Sweater Tight, $18.00)

4.      The classic long button-up shirt and sweater combo is the new chic.

(Photo credit: jcrew.com)

Pairing a pullover sweater over a button-up shirt is a classic combo that doesn’t have to look like a school uniform. Unbutton your collar shirt and roll up your sleeves for a more relaxed look that is ultra chic for fall. Just wear your collar shirt when it’s relatively warm outside, and throw on your sweater when it gets a little chilly. Have fun with mixing colors and patterns- your shirt and sweater do not have to match at all!

(Forever 21 Classic Plaid Shirt, $15.80)

(Forever 21 Cropped Cable Knit Sweater, $26.90)

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo