Dolphin Show Director Emily Maltby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
Name: Emily Maltby
(Pictured with Dolphin Show producers Lucas McMahon and Jeremy Shpizner)

Year: 2012
Major: Theatre
Hometown: New York City

How and when did you originally become involved with The Dolphin Show? 
I became involved with Dolphin the second week of my freshmen year. I was the Assistant Director of the 67th Dolphin Show: The Wizard of Oz. From there I have worked on Parade and Ragtime as well. 

What has your involvement in theatre and other performances been like on campus or in high school even? 
I was a choreographer first, and did a lot of choreography in High School. When I got to college, I discovered that I was also really interested in directing, and began to pursue that. I have assisted many of my professors and peers, as well as directed a few productions on campus. I assisted on the 68th Dolphin: Parade, and then did the choreography for last year’s Ragtime. 

What about the Dolphin Show makes it so unique? 
First and foremost: the scale. We are the only student production that goes up in Cahn, and simply the size of this show, from the cast to the team, makes us unique. Also, I think the fact that 150 undergraduate students come to together to build this show in so many ways is really amazing. We do everything from marketing, to building the set, to playing in the pit, to being on stage. That sense of community and passion is so special. 

Why should students go see the Dolphin Show? 
Dolphin is one of Northwestern’s oldest and proudest traditions. It is really a demonstration of the power and passion of our students, and the things we can do. It, like Dillo Day, and DM, and Waa-Mu, are staples of the Northwestern calendar.  Also, 42nd Street is such a wonderful, exciting, and uplifting story!

What was the process to become the director for the show? and why did the position appeal to you? 
I have worked on Dolphin for the last three years in artistic positions, and after choreographing last year, I was really excited about the idea of directing the show this year. The process consists of two  interviews or “petitions”, the first with the two producers Lucas McMahon and Jeremy Shpizner, and the second with the entire Arts Alliance Board. 

What have been the benefits to directing? Highs and/or lows? 
This process has been the most exciting, most terrifying, most inspiring experience of my time at Northwestern. It has been so amazing to work with this cast to tell this story. I think everyone working on the show believes so much in this story, in these people, and what this show is ultimately about, and being around that every day has definitely been a high. The low will come when we close on January 28!

What’s your favorite part of the show? 
I don’t really have a favorite part! Why don’t you tell me after you’ve seen it!
Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.
Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo