Blogger Revealed: Emilie of Must Love Shoes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There’s something about shoes that girls just can’t seem to get enough of. Do you know of that Cinderella moment of looking down at your feet and somehow feeling a little bit better about the day that hasn’t exactly been going your way? If you do, you’re obsessed. So is Emilie Sobel, the shoe-obsessed aspiring fashion editor who recently launched a style blog that documents her style and inspiration every day. Must Love Shoes is the perfect blog to gain daily inspiration from a girl who would be much happier receiving shoes as a Valentine’s gift over roses or chocolate.

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I am currently a junior at the Savannah College of Art and Design where I am majoring in Fashion Marketing. I want to pursue a career in the magazine industry, becoming a market editor or a stylist at a major publication.

2. How would you describe your style?

My style is all about creativity. I try not to stick to one trend or look because fashion is all about change. I usually shop for more grungy looking pieces but I love a good maxi dress. I love to punk more feminine styles up with a cool leather-sleeved jacket. I also live in motorcycle boots- I literally wear them everywhere and I own too many pairs.

3. What inspired you to start a fashion blog?

Every day for years now I have been following fashion and inspiration blogs. CupcakesandCashmere.com, Fashiontoast.com, ManRepeller.com, those blogs are all bookmarked on my dashboard and I read them daily. I love the idea of creative people documenting their ideas, outfits and favorite things onto one website for other people to read. I love blogging because I get to put all my ideas into one place, whether I’m the only one reading it or there are 100,000 readers, it’s something I seriously enjoy doing and I’m constantly inspired by other bloggers as well.

4. Why shoes?
Shoes are universal items- everyone wears them, regardless of what you look like. Shoes give me a whole new type of confidence and when I put them on they complete my whole outfit. Whether you are wearing a pair of stilettos or boots, shoes make people feel good because they always fit. I also love how you can find endless amounts of styles. I spend too much time on websites discovering new types, but I will always be obsessed – which is why I post weekly articles on my favorite shoe style of the week.

5. What is your experience at the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) like?

SCAD has been amazing. I am constantly surrounded by ambitious and talented people. I hate not being in New York, but living in Savannah, GA introduces so many different types of inspiration. The professors at SCAD have all been in the fashion industry at some point, so I know I am learning from the best. My school hosts a huge fashion show once a year and Andre Leon Talley comes as well as the designer being honored with ALT’s award. All my friends at SCAD are amazing people, too. We are constantly working and collaborating with each other, on photo shoots styling or hosting gallery events to showcase student work.

6. What are your favorite places to shop at?

I am a huge online shopper. People don’t realize that you can find so much more on websites because they’re much more organized. Forever 21 is my go-to for accessories and random clothing pieces. At the moment I am obsessed with ZARA as well as TopShop, Nastygal.com and H&M. I am a huge discount shopper so anything I can get for a great deal, I want. There’s a store at home called Loehmann’s and it’s a huge discount department store. My mom and I go every time I come home for break because we have so many discount coupons. Loehmann’s carries all designer clothing but for a serious discount because they are last season. I will never buy something full price just because I know it’ll go on sale soon enough!

7. What are some of your favorite pieces at the moment?
I will always love motorcycle boots. They come in all different colors and styles, so I love that. I have an amazing coat hanging in my closet. It’s vintage cheetah fur that belonged to my mom’s grandmother, so it’s super special and really amazing. I am addicted to Nastygal.com and they recently released their new collection. I purchased an amazing neoprene dress for my school’s fashion show in May, so I am anxiously waiting to wear it.

8. What advice do you have for staying fashionable on a budget?

Try to never buy things on an impulse. I am a huge hypocrite because I always online shop and fill my carts, but I taught myself to put things in my cart and let them stay in there overnight. If you really need that dress or those shoes, think about it and see if you’re still thinking about it the next day. Most of the time you’ll totally forget you even wanted whatever it was and you’ll end up saving so much money!

9. Where do you get fashion inspiration from?

I read a ton of magazines. I have piles of issues in my room and I have a hard time getting rid of them. From Vogue to Seventeen, I am constantly inspired by what I see throughout the pages. I also read other blogs, as mentioned before. I feel like there are so many creative fashionistas on the Internet that you can get inspiration from them without stealing their ideas. Too many people are unoriginal these days. When I started a blog one of the key things I kept in mind was how I was going to differentiate myself. People don’t want to read the same thing over and over, so I wanted to inspire people in a way people hadn’t been before.

10. What advice do you have for people considering starting a blog?

If you want to start a blog, first make a list of all the things you would post. Organize yourself because too many “bloggers” start a blog and then only post one or two times a week. I read blogs that are updated Monday through Friday. I know it sounds like a lot of work but just make a list of how you want to do things, set an alarm 15 minutes earlier and do your posts in the morning before you start your busy day. I intern for three websites and I work all while being a student, but my blog is important to me. You never know where your blog could take you, who you may meet and who you could inspire. Take it seriously and treat it as your baby- blogging is fun as long as you are organized and consistent! Don’t be afraid to promote yourself. Social media works wonders, so make a Twitter, Instagram and a Facebook page. People will share your articles and their friends will be introduced to you, which will open so many doors.