This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Before this January, “Winter is Coming” meant it was time to prepare for the terrible Chicago weather and polar vortices. But now, I started Game of Thrones. I had always been opposed to watching the series known for bloody battle scenes and fire-breathing dragons. I was never into anything in the fantasy genre. However, my roommates convinced me to start Game of Thrones in time for the April 14 final season premiere. Maybe it is because of my love for the brooding Jon Snow or maybe it is because of Tyrion Lannister’s witty remarks, but I am officially on the Game of Thrones bandwagon.

Game of Thrones is more than just a fantasy show. On top of having a stellar cast, beautiful sets, and breathtaking special effects, this is a show about human nature. It is a show about how far people will go for power, money and love. The relationships are complicated and meaningful. I know, I know, I sound like the rest of your insane friends who keep annoying you to watch Game of Thrones. But trust me, it is worth the hype.

So what is it like to binge 67 episodes of Game of Thrones that are each an hour long? Exhausting. There are multiple plots per episode, and it feels like there are a million characters. At first, it was hard for me to keep up. Who was a Lannister and who was a Stark? Who was working with whom? Who is even on the Iron Throne? The plot became easier to follow over time, and I began to understand each of the characters. I was even fond of most of them. But then, they began dying, slowly one by one. That’s the thing about Game of Thrones: no character is safe. It’s an emotional roller coaster filled with gore and betrayal, but the emotional investment is what makes you want to watch even more.

Because I have watched so much in such a short time, I have really been able to see the characters develop. From Sansa Stark being a whiny teen to a strong, powerful woman. From Joffrey being the most annoying character on the show…to being even more annoying (not all the characters change for the better). I’ve seen the plot unfold over a short period of time, and I’ve seen how the character’s stories interweave with each other. Game of Thrones truly is a masterpiece.

So yes, watching the entirety of Game of Thrones is overwhelming, so much so that I might not even be able to finish by Sunday (but believe me I’m going to try…spoilers are out there). If you’re going to binge Game of Thrones be warned that it’s a tough journey of avoiding spoilers and keeping up with so many different plots. But this Binge of Thrones is worth the fight!

Emily Chaiet

Northwestern '20

Emily Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida studying journalism at Northwestern University. She is also pursuing a minor in sociology and a certificate in integrated marketing communications. In her free time she likes to rewatch the Office on Netflix and go to CycleBar.