Best Dressed and Fashion Failures of the Night at Billboard Music Awards 2011

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Let’s take a look at my choices for best and worst dressed celebrities at the Billboard Music Awards!

Best Dressed

1. Selena Gomez

Selena has officially left behind her Disney teen star status. Looking hotter than ever and showing off legs no pre-teen would have, Selena stunned in a Dolce & Gabbana black cut-out gown. She accessorized with Neil Lane circle earrings and a Neil Lane diamond and gold cocktail ring. Her red bow Giuseppe Zanotti heels gave a girlie touch to downplay the sex-kitten look her gown presented. She was the best-dressed in my opinion and her public kiss with Justin Bieber received lots of media attention.

2. Kelly Rowland

She may not have been the most well-known star of the group Destiny’s Child, but her stellar body made her one of the most noticeable at the Billboard Music Awards. In a Max Azria bandage pink dress, she picked a color to stand out, and admiration is exactly what she got!

3. Justin Bieber

Though men don’t usually come to mind first as placing on the Best Dressed list, Justin Bieber looked dapper than ever. His gold tuxedo jacket prepared him for winning the gold in his award, and he looked extremely sophisticated with his shorter haircut. It really shows why Selena chose to pick a younger man! With looks and talent like Bieber, she is one less lonely girl indeed.

4. Kylie Minogue

Kylie looked like a queen in an Alexander McQueen black lace dress. The lace was dark enough to stay conservative, but the subtle and sexy pieces of skin seen through the lace made this look outstanding. The sequin and beads garnishing the dress made this dress seem even more like a royal choice. The black peep-toe Christian Louboutin fringe heels were exquisite, but then again – what about Christian Louboutin pieces aren’t perfect? Kylie may be a trendsetter in Britain, but this look proves she has style in America as well!

5. Taylor Swift

This is not her best look ever in my opinion, but the regal gold sequined Elie Saab gown got lots of attention at the Billboard Music Awards this year. She doesn’t look like the young woman waiting for her “Love Story” anymore, but instead has blossomed into a mature and couture-wearing beauty.

Fashion Failures

1. Nicki Minaj

Nicki, you may be the “baddest b****”, but this look is far from “blazin.’” Where to start? The Mark Fast RTW turquoise embellished jumpsuit looked horrendous and not fit for any red carpet – or white carpet in this event. Paired with pink hair that clashed in a tacky way with the jumpsuit, this look is all over the place. The only redeeming piece of this outfit is the Versace lace-up white sandals. You should have made the outfit show off these shoes!

2. Ke$ha

I am speechless. Ke$ha’s outfit was appalling to say the least. Her grey cutout Jad Ghanour gown, if you can call that, had heads turning in a bad way. In what world is a chiffon train that only covers half your body fashionable? However, Ke$ha is known for making a statement, and that may have been her purpose for wearing this.

3. Fergie

Some people think Fergie was one of the best dressed at the Billboard awards, but her look is way too dominatrix with the choker neck piece and leather skirt. Add a whip, and she could find her way in any kinky situation. The dress is Hervé Léger by Max Azria, and I must say that I’ve been a fan for every Hervé Léger dress before seeing this one. However, the bandage dresses in this line are breathtaking overall. Her red-heeled Christian Louboutin black pumps shows that Fergie usually has superb taste, but this must have been an off day for the singer.

4. Mary J. Blige

Leopard print is seductive, but not when it covers an awkward section of your body like it did on Mary J. Blige. Her half-leopard and half-black Marc Bauer gown was not impressive. Why was there a collar too? This just didn’t give the sexy look that leopard should give.

5. Keri Hilson

I love the color choices Keri Hilson chose with her outfit, but the dress is not ideal for her body shape. The sleeves are far too voluminous, and they seem fit for a genie more than anyone else. The chartreuse hue of this Rachel Roy mini was a beautiful color to complement her skin tone, and the turquoise belt is the perfect balance for the pop of colors she intended. I just wish the dress was designed differently. 

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.