The Best Birthday Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Recently, it was my roommate’s 20th birthday. Seeing as I am an extremely extra roommate, I decided to go all out to make her birthday exceptionally special. I did all the classic bday things, like decorating her room with a “Happy Birthday” banner, sprinkling some chocolates on her bed, getting a sprinkle cake with candles, filling a mini birthday cake piñata and blowing up some fun balloons that say “Yay.” The room definitely screamed birthday and had a fun pink and gold theme going on, but I wanted to do something more to set the mood for when she walked in. It is isn’t enough to awkwardly sing happy birthday out of tune, so I decided to make the perfect birthday playlist. Here it is:

In Da Club by 50 Cent

I started off with the song In Da Club by 50 Cent, to get the birthday spirit going. This hip-hop funky vibe gets everyone loosened up and ready to celebrate. I mean who doesn’t want to dance and sing along to the lines “It’s your birthday/ We gon’ party like it’s yo birthday”?

We Can’t Stop by Miley Cyrus

Next, we slow it down a little bit with another classic, We Can’t Stop by Miley Cyrus. This song gives off fun chill vibes, and everyone knows the lyrics. This song elevates the birthday mood with the lines “It’s our party we can do what we want.” Miley makes the birthday girl feel like is she can do what she wants to and she is the queen!  

Happy Birthday by Altered Images

One of my favorite songs that I listen to even when there isn’t a bday celebration is Happy Birthday by Altered Images. This song has all of the elements that make a good ’80s pop song, like the sound of the synth, the overlapping reverb on the lyrics and a fun upbeat melody. The birthday girl was taken by surprise when this song came on, and it was a great addition to the playlist.

Birthday by The Beatles

Everyone loves the classic Birthday by the Beatles. To bring the room reveal to an end I blasted this tune and got everyone hyped up and jumping around. We chanted out the lyrics and played air guitar along with the Beatle’s famous riff.

There are so many little things that can go into making a birthday special, and making a solid birthday playlist is a simple addition to set the tone. There are tons of other birthday themed songs out there so feel free to scroll through Spotify’s bday song suggestions until you find what’s right for you.  

Emily Norfolk

Northwestern '21

Emily Norfolk loves to write about silly everyday amusements. She often gets an idea in her head and cannot let go of it, but that is okay because she just rolls with it. She is constantly thinking of the next story to tell and on which platform. Emily is a lover of multimedia and the digital age. She tells everyone that we are living in a cashless society and to keep up with the trends. Trends and trendsetting are her thing, she wishes she was an IG influencer because she loves vlogging.