Best and Worst of Oscar Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The Oscars just wouldn’t be the same without the fashion hype. It’s certainly difficult to imagine the award show without floor-length gowns and tuxedos. It just wouldn’t be the same if Channing showed up in a wife beater and Meryl  sported a Juicy sweatsuit.

Best:

Jennifer Lawrence:

Maybe it’s just that she’s impossible to insult, but Lawrence’s Dior Haute Couture gown generated rave reviews from the moment she stepped on the red carpet. The dress could have been pulled up an inch, but if that’s the only thing wrong with the look, then snaps to Miss Lawrence. The Jennifer Lawrence love-fest lives on.

Jessica Chastain

Arguably the best look of the night, Jessica Chastain wore a sparkling strapless Armani Prive dress. The dress fit perfectly and complimented her coppery waves brilliantly. No one’s complaining about the red lipstick either.

Quvenzhané Wallis

Wallis, who recently landed the lead role in Sony’s upcoming rendition of “Annie,” killed it on the Red Carpet Sunday. Not only did she look amazing, she spoke with grace and poise to interviewers such as Ryan Seacrest. But really, a 9-year old in Giorgio Armani, toting a puppy dog purse: need we say more?

Kerry Washington

Washington sported a Miu Miu dress with a Prada bag at this year’s Academy Awards. The coral pink refreshed the generally muted collection of dresses that stars selected this year. Washington  looked glowing and poised, as per usual.

Worst:

Anne Hathaway

She could have done better. The pink is sweet and the cut is classic, but this was her year to show off an extravagant, bold gown. Also, the darting of the dress certainly didn’t distract from her clearly visible nipples that poked through the light satin.  The wardrobe malfunction caused thousands on Twitter to comment and even resulted in a new Twitter handle. @AnneHathawayNipples had over 3,000 followers by the end of the show. Oops.

Kristin Stewart

Stewart’s Reem Acra Couture gown was sweet but it didn’t do much for her figure. However, the real issue was with her hair, which looked as though she had forgotten to do it in the first place. Kristin, please at least brush your hair.

Jennifer Garner

God bless you, Jennifer Garner, but no one’s totally sure what this dress is. Streamlined and simple in the front and crazy-ruffled in the back, it seemed like two different dresses in one. Round of applause for wearing color though, Jen. Garner was one of the few to do so on Sunday.