Best and Worst Dressed of the Grammy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Sunday night’s Grammy Awards provided a wonderful show. From Adele’s powerful comeback and stunning sweep of awards to the heart-wrenching Jennifer Hudson tribute to Whitney Houston and Nicki Minaj’s shocking performance of Roman’s Holiday, the show was quite a spectacle. One of the greatest parts of the night were the outfits worn both onstage and the red carpet. Here is a quick roundup of HC’s “awards” for the night!

Best Dressed

Best Sparkle Award: Jesse J

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

Calling herself a “personal disco-ball,” Jesse J sure did capture the lights last night in this stunning metallic Julien Macdonald bustier gown. The cinched waist does wonders to showcase her curves while the mermaid cut elongates her figure. She accessorized her show-stopping dress with a simple but funky Lulu Guinness Black Perspex Lips clutch and minimal makeup. A simple slicked back pony tail with her trademark blunt bangs allowed the focus to remain on the dress. This look was a wonderful mix of elegant and fun that well represented the atmosphere of the Grammys.

Best Pink Award: Sophia Grace and Rosie

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

Possibly the cutest attendees of the night, Sophia Grace and Rosie graced the red carpet in matching gowns from Ellen, who also gifted them with their night out at the Grammys. Accessorized with gold flats and lace gloves, these princesses definitely gave Kate Middleton a run for her money. Topped off by golden tiaras, these adorable munchkins clearly stole the show with their charming princess waves.

Tried and True Award: Taylor Swift

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

After her surprisingly couture and elegant cover editorial for Vogue, many were anticipating the look the country superstar would select for the evening. Staying true to her style, she didn’t veer away from her love for glitter in a dazzling Zuhair Murad Couture gown. The high neckline shows a surprising twist that proves she’s been under some definitive high-fashion influence. Choosing not to sport her usual curly locks, Taylor opted for an elegant bun with very minimal makeup. It was a wonderful choice, as too much hair and makeup would have distracted from the dress. Brava!

Best Black Award: Adele

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

The Grammys was basically her night, and the British superstar certainly dressed the part in a divine Giorgio Armani gown. The three-quarter length sleeves and cinched waist of the dress showcased Adele’s figure in the most classy and modest way. Her makeup was flawless with rosy bronzed cheeks paired with a bright red lip.  With gorgeous, full curls falling just at her shoulders, Adele also channeled a hint of a 1950’s pinup girl vibe. With all eyes on her for a successful comeback, the powerhouse exceeded all expectations in this number.

Best Glow Award: Kelly Rowland

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

In this Alberta Ferretti gown, Kelly Rowland looked simply radiating on the red carpet. The cream-hued gown looked gorgeous against her skin tone and the sliver floral bodice prevented the dress f
Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.comrom looking too bridal or boring. Rowland accessorized with a pair of diva diamond earrings and a cocktail ring. With a black smoky eye and muted nude lips, she looked every bit the “commander” on the red carpet.

Shouldn’t Like It But I Do Award: Katy Perry

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

It’s about as bad as a fashion crime can get. Matching your dress to your unnaturally dyed hair should never be okay, but Katy Perry somehow managed to make it work in this baby blue Elie Saab Couture gown. With her usual simple cat-eye liner and light pink lips, Perry managed to balance the feminine touches on such a stunning gown with a light and fun vibe.  This look probably would not have worked on anyone else, but Katy can count this as a risk that paid off quite stylishly.

Best White Award: Malin Akerman

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

Malin Ackerman arrived in a sleek and modern Cushnie et Ochs sheath dress. In a night dominated by couture gowns, it was refreshing to see something shorter. Her futuristic look was completed by edgy black accessories, cut-out booties and a sparkly clutch. With simple glowing makeup, Ackerman’s skin was complemented with the white dress, making the actress look like she just arrived back from a tropical vacation. The light color of the dress also channels the much anticipated spring season.

Worst Dressed

Prom Queen Award: Kelly Clarkson

Photo Credit: http://www.mydaily.co.uk

Kelly Clarkson may have pulled her outfit from the wrong closet last night. Wearing a Pamella Roland chiffon gown with a sliver crystal beaded wrapped waist, the singer looked exponentially boring. The look read high school prom queen instead of once in a lifetime Grammy performance. While the cut of the dress is wonderful for her curvy figure, there were numerous other options that would have lived up to the glamour and honor of the occasion

Most Questionable Award: Nicki Minaj

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

This outfit will undoubtedly be remembered as the “Gaga-egg moment” of the 2012 Grammys. Nicki Minaj wore a Versace satin robe and a nun hood with the company’s signature Medusa head bedazzled across the front the ensemble and pushed at a theme of religious couture. Accessorizing with red sequin gloves and a look-alike Pope, Nicki clearly wanted to be remembered. Well, there’s no doubt about that now.

Worst Hair Award: Rihanna

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

Rihanna said she wanted a look that was “simple, sexy and gangster.” In this Armani gown she personally helped design, her mission was accomplished. Her hair, however, spoiled the look she was going for. With blatantly visible roots and oddly parted blunt bangs, she ended up looking dirty and disheveled. The look would have much improved if she would have cleaned up her dye job and straightened her hair for a cleaner look.

Worst White: Robyn

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

The maxi skirt may be a serious trend, but look may be biggest fail of it yet. Tucking a simple white t-shirt into a strange silk white high-low maxi skirt, Robyn was seriously underdressed for the occasion. Her strange mustard-hued hiking boots-turned-platform shoes completed the confusion for the look. Standing out from the sea of gowns is one thing, but this look clearly missed the mark.

Worst Lace: Fergie

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

In a Jean Paul Gaultier Couture gown, Fergie left little unsaid in this piece. It’s an excellent example how too much is never too good. While the overabundance of lace detailing is traumatic, the shocking orange color isn’t easy on the eyes either. The black and orange combination also gives off an eerie Halloween vibe. This look may have had a chance if she opted for a nude lining underneath parts of the dress, to make it look like she at least wore something more than a beach cover-up.

Worst Sparkle

Photo Credit: justjared.buzznet.com

Posing for the cameras in a Gomez-Gracia gown, Carrie Underwood’s sequined number had a high collar with an interesting cut-out in the back. The overdose of sparkle with such a modest fit is confusing. Her Swarovski black crystal clutch only competed with the brightness of her dress. Her makeup is flawless though. Carrie’s glowing face and confident smile made it hard to dislike her dress too much.

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.