Girl In Porcelain Print Skirt In Feild 3
Photo by Anna Thetard / Her Campus
Wellness

Being grateful from head to toe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It is January: the month of new begins. What’s a better way to ring in the new year than with a new outlook — one in which gratitude takes center stage? People often express gratitude for their family and friends, but it is important to also remember ourselves, specifically, our bodies! They do so much for us, but it may be difficult to focus on the good when society encourages us to focus on the bad.

It seems as though there is an “ideal” body type and pressure to look a certain way. This sets unrealistic and unattainable standards. Bodies come in all shapes and sizes, and that is beautiful. Our bodies are our homes. Appreciating everything they can do for us is an excellent way to begin loving our home and combating the negative messages spread by the media. Plus, it is very timely given the season. So let me break it down from head to toe.

Face: Your face contains some of your most important features. First of all, it is your head that keeps your brain safe. This is so important because your brain helps you make meaningful decisions and retains all your fun memories. There are so many things to see in this world and your eyes absorb as much of it as possible —breathtaking sites, marriage proposals, theatrical performances and the list continues. Your ears hear lovely sounds like birds chirping, beach waves crashing and your friends singing. Your nose smells baked goods and fresh flowers. Your lips allow you to speak your truth and smile. 

Arms: Your arms help you swim throughout life. From opening doors to grabbing groceries to giving hugs, they are always there putting in the work.

Heart: While your heart is buried deep inside your chest, it keeps you alive! Your heart is a symbol of love, and we all need love in our lives.

Hands: Your hands let you hold little special things — a baby’s hand, a sea shell, a piece of chocolate, a microphone and much more.

Stomach: Your belly is the best because it digests all the yummy foods you eat and lets you enjoy their delectability. It ensures the nutrients of the food give your body energy and nourishment.

Legs: Your legs are so strong and powerful. They let you walk, run, dance, swim, jump, spin and bike.

Feet: Your feet keep you standing. There will be obstacles in life and things may try to knock you down, but your feet, even if you do get knocked down, ensure you keep moving forward. 

Toes: Your toes lead you in the direction you want to go, sending you on the right path.

This list is just the start. There are lots of other things our bodies do for us that are worthy of gratitude. I also want to highlight that there are people who do not have all of these body parts or whose parts are not fully functional. This does not mean that they should not be grateful for their bodies and different body parts. Everyone experiences aspects of life differently, and getting through it is something to appreciate.

All in all, your body will always be there for you. It allows you to live life. It is normal to have things you do not completely love about your body, but accepting your body as it is and appreciating the things it does for you is worthwhile.

Madeleine Stern

Northwestern '25

Madeleine is studying journalism at Northwestern University. When she is not writing, she can be found exploring Chicago, trying new Evanston restaurants, going for runs along the Lakefill, dancing around her dorm room, cheering on the New York Giants, or spending time with her friends.