This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As students, many of us don’t have large disposable incomes, especially to spend on beauty products. Besides, a lot of us don’t have easy access to department and specialty stores like the rest of the population. We do have one secret weapon though and that, collegiettes, is the drugstore. Although the drugstore has always been known for it’s cheap products, the real secret is in knowing which products give you the best value and the best results. The following are 10 must-haves.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration

Ah, the joys of moisturized hair. This shampoo/conditioner set leaves hair incredibly soft and shiny. This stuff is especially incredible for those with curly or thick hair. “I’ve used this stuff for forever and people always tell me my hair smells really good,” said Miriam Gilbert, a freshman in the School of Communication. Buy!

Revlon Lustrous Lipstick
The perfect lipstick is hard to come by but Revlon’s Super Lustrous makes the cut. It’s ultra-moisturizing formula stays put for hours, even after eating. With over 80 shades to choose from, it’s difficult not to buy them all. Try it in Black Cherry or Raisin Rage if you want to take on fall’s oxblood trend. Buy!
Nivea A Kiss of Moisture Lip Balm
There are few things worse than chapped lips, and as cold weather sets in, the problem is only going to get worse.  “It’s a lifesaver in cold weather. It works immediately,” freshman Samantha Sterling said. This lip balm leaves lips silky-smooth for hours without a heavy scent, taste or sticky residue. Keep one in your bag, nightstand, pocket, car, friend’s bag, pencil pouch….you get the idea. Buy!
L’oreal Elnett Satin Hairspray
Beauty experts across the globe swear by this product. First introduced in Europe, it is currently used by the pros for red carpet events, editorial photo shoots and everything in between. This hairspray works wonders with virtually any style or type of hair. Its fine, even spray ensures a perfect hairstyle without the stiffness of other maximum-hold hairsprays. Buy!
Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo
We’ve all been there. With busy lives and limited time, sometimes our hair gets a little oilier than the ideal. Luckily, Suave has introduced a dry shampoo that works. A quick spray soaks up oil and leaves your roots looking refreshed and clean. Bonus: It can also be used to add texture and volume to a messy bun.  Other dry shampoos can cost over $20 but you can grab this one at the drugstore for less than $4. Buy!
Maybelline Great Lash Clear Mascara
Clear mascara is great for an all-natural look (perfect for the gym) but we also love this one for brow sculpting. The tiny brush of Maybelline’s Great Lash Clear makes it easy to keep your brows defined. The gel formula is never crunchy or flaky and will stay put all day. Buy!
Covergirl LashBlast Volume Mascara
Covergirl is consistently a favorite, but this mascara is at the top of the list. Its big brush gives you full, soft lashes in only a few swipes. Plus, its formula won’t flake or smudge. Mascara can easily sell for $25-$40 at department stores, but this one is yours for less than $8. Buy!
Colgate Optic White Daily Toothpaste
Patience may be a virtue, but there’s nothing wrong with trying to speed up the whitening process, right? Thankfully, Colgate’s Optic White toothpaste shows noticeable results within a week. It also leaves your mouth feeling super fresh. This stuff gives so many reasons to smile. Buy!
Neutrogena Make-up Remover Cleansing Towelettes
After a long day, it’s easy to just crawl into bed without removing the day’s makeup. These makeup-removing wipes allow for no excuses. “These things take off my makeup without hassle,” said Hailey Farrell, a communications studies major.  They quickly eliminate face and eye makeup, even that stubborn waterproof mascara. There’s no sticky residue from these wipes either. Try them in the original cleansing formula or the calming night formulas. Buy!
L’oreal Lineur Intense Felt Tip Liquid Eyeliner  – Carbon Black
Eyeliner can be tricky. The last thing you want is liner that runs, leaving you with the dreaded raccoon eyes. The felt tip of L’oreal’s liner makes this easy to apply and the formula stays put all day. The carbon black color works as easily for day as it does for night. The only thing this liner can’t do is teach you how to draw the perfect winged line. Guess we’ll just keep practicing…Buy!

Maya Voelk

Northwestern

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.