The Bates Motel Finale Trailer is Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

***SPOILERS AHEAD***

Alfred Hitchcock fans, get excited! The trailer for the series finale of A&E’s Bates Motel has finally arrived and all signs point to a chilling ending. The last four years have carried us through the complex and strangely haunting life of Norman Bates. Based on Hitchcock’s classic horror film Psycho, Bates Motel is a prequel to the film that explores the life of Norman and his family in the fictional town of White Pine Bay, Oregon. Even if you haven’t seen the original film series, it’s more likely than not that you’re familiar with the story of the insane motel owner who goes on killing sprees under the delusion that he is his deceased mother.

Over the course of the show, Norman’s complicated and unhealthy relationship with his eccentric mother Norma Bates has quickly spiraled from a loving mother-son bond to a violent obsession. Most recently, it’s resulted in Norman killing his mother via carbon monoxide poisoning and putting his skills as a part-time taxidermist to use to preserve her body and create a shrine to the woman he once loved.

Deviating in many ways from the original storyline, Bates Motel has thrown in quite a few interesting twists and turns — including letting Marion Crane escape from the famous shower scene, though Sam Loomis wasn’t so lucky. It was because of this that we haven’t been entirely sure what to expect throughout the rest of the show. Now, after nearly 50 episodes and with the series finale on the horizon, Norman’s story is getting the finale we’ve all been waiting for. Check it out here:

The above video recaps the events of Season 5, giving us a glimpse at real pages from the show’s script and highlighting all of Norman’s catatonic moments of madness. While there isn’t much left from the original story to incorporate into the finale, the show could take any number of turns. With Alex Romero newly escaped from prison and Dylan’s relationship falling apart with his wife Emma due to Norman killing her mother, the Bates Motel owner has few allies.

Even if Norman can manage to evade Romero and mend his relationship with his brother, the evidence he’s provided for his other crimes are sure to turn up in the upcoming trial and things aren’t looking good for him. Whether you’re a fan of the original film series or you like the modern-day take on Norman Bates’ tale of madness, you don’t want to miss the finale on April 24th on A&E. One thing’s for sure. It’s bound to be a thrill.