The Bachelorette Episode 1 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Jojo’s new season The Bachelorette had SO many feels last night as she finally met her potential new suitors in Episode 1. Even though no dates were involved and she was simply meeting the guys, there was already (you guessed it)… drama. As we look at the guys, I would just like to acknowledge that our article on predictions last week was spot on!

Cue the men.

As the men loaded out of the car, each of them had their own little anecdote, pick up line, or costume. The first man to walk out of the car was none other than Jordan, who I can already tell you will definitely make it far. As the little brother of Aaron Rogers, Jordan is definitely athletic and cute. Him and Jojo visibility have an instant connection, and she says “you look really good” which she proceeds to say to the next couple of men as they walk through. Maybe she just defaulted to a phrase because she was nervous?

Then come some of the funny people. There is Brandon, whose job title is “Hipster.” As he walks up to Jojo he goes “I literally know nothing about you I don’t watch the show.” Maybe not the best pickup line, but Jojo seems to laugh as he sort of just walks away. I think I’m going to like this guy.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have James S. whose job title is “Bachelor Superfan” aka I live with my mom in her basement. He is the most excited person you will ever see, and never wipes his smile off his face, which is cute but also a little weird.

Then come some of the more comical guys, some of which was bound to happen. In rolls Nick, who is dressed as Saint Nick saying “Jo Jo Jo!” I thought this was funny, but a bit much. However, once Jojo takes the beard off, she likes what she sees.

Other notable men and entrances:

Daniel: tries to make a “Damn Daniel” joke, which Jojo simply does not get (and probably never will)

Chad: an overconfident real estate agent who you can already tell will be trouble (but very good looking)

Wells: a beautiful radio DJ who brought an acapella group to serenade Jojo. I love you Wells.

Then comes the actual mingling, which clearly takes hours because by the time some of the men get sent home, it is daytime out. Poor, poor men.

Jojo and the men have start off with some not so great conversations, which prompts her to say she isn’t sure if her future husband is in this room. *Tear* Then of course, once she starts talking to Jordan (former pro football player) and a couple of other guys, she says she is starting to feel some sparks. As Jojo continues to talk with the guys, some of them get a little drunk. And by a little I mean a lot.

Nick S. (software salesman) and Daniel (Damn Daniel whose profession is Canadian aka unemployed) start to feel themselves as they get pretty drunk. They are annoying to the other men, and at one point Daniel strips down. They intrude Jojo when she is doing a one on one with the camera, and she feels so uncomfortable and doesn’t know how to react.

Cue the rose ceremony.

In walks former Bachelor contestant and Bachelor Jake Pavelka right as the rose ceremony is beginning. Remember the cute pilot? That’s him! Immediately, the viewers and contestants are both under the impression that Jake is going to try to join the race for Jojo’s heart. However, Jojo pulls out a twist when she says that Jake is a “old family friend.” Is he really Jojo? Are all contestants all “family friends” or what is this supposed to mean? Whatever, I’m not buying it. Jake just wanted to come to give Jojo some advice, which was pretty stupid advice in my opinion, summing up to “follow you gut.” Thanks for that one Jake.

Back to the rose ceremony, where Jojo begins to hand out one fateful rose at the time. Most of the people you think would get one do, given the fact that so many men still get roses after this round. But, the biggest plot twist of the night is that Jojo gives a rose to the drunk idiot Daniel instead of some guys who probably deserved it more. She sends home a couple of guys, who seem devastated. The fact that I can’t even remember their names shows how little camera time they had.

And then, the best part of it all, the promo for the rest of the season!

In the promo, there appears to be a lot of men fighting, both physically and emotionally, for Jojo’s love. Jojo claims she doesn’t want to fall for a bad boy, but the promos show otherwise as it appears she is going to fall for Chad, one who seems a little physically violent towards others and has a bit of a temper. It also shows some glimpses of some one on one dates, and of course, tears. However, the Bachelorette did an incredible job of not really revealing whether or not Jojo will leave the show engaged, which I personally appreciated.

Tune in next Monday to see the real love and drama ensue!