ASG VP Candidate Carla Berkowitz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name:
Carla Berkowitz
Year: Sophomore
Hometown: Indian Wells, California
Major: Pre-med and Economics and Chemistry Minor

What are you involved in on campus? 
I’m a member of the ASG student life committee, the founder/president of Northwestern Integrative Medicine Club, an active member of my sorority ZTA,  and have an internship at Feinberg doing medical research.

What made you want to run for VP?
I have been on the Student life committee for two years and I’ve grown increasingly passionate about student issues like student health and wellness. I feel like I understand the inner workings of ASG and with my leadership skills I believe I can create a positive change on the Northwestern campus.

How do you feel about being the only girl running for ASG position?
I was honestly surprised when I found out, but I know that women are actively involved in many activities on campus. There are a good amount of women on the student life committee so I never thought of it as an issue until this point. I thought we were past this. Men and women are equally represented at this school and this goes to shows that there still is gender inequality. Women should contact your representative, fight for issues you care about.  Men can’t always understand women’s issues the same way because they can’t experience them. This campus is balanced and it should be balanced in ASG to represent that.

What would you say to those who think ASG doesn’t accomplish anything/is pointless?   
ASG accomplishes a lot of things that people take for granted. Also it’s difficult to create change in this institution. It is partly ASG’s responsibility to publicize their accomplishments, but also students’ responsibility to support their representative. We’re supposed to be their voice but without people speaking up we can’t really fight for those issues.   ASG has brought cell phone reception to various parts of school, and they’re working on creating a new student center.

Why did you become involved in ASG?
I was really involved in a lot of leadership in high school, and leading people has become one of my passions and ASG seemed like a great way to get involved and speak about issues I cared about. It seemed like a great way to connect directly with the administration and take a stance on campus.

What are your campaign goals?
I’m personally passionate about student health and wellness. When I first came to campus one of the first things I was told was that students don’t take care of themselves and I definitely see that reflected in our poor habits. It is really important that we develop proper habits and lifestyle that promotes longevity and health because that’s when we’re most productive and happy.  I want to increase student participation in yoga on south campus, by lowering prices and having classes offered somewhere other than SPAC, provide massages in the library during finals for stress management, make nutritional content information available in dining halls and increase fresh fruit and vegetable options in dining halls for better choices, bring a healthy living lecture series to campus so people can learn how to take care of themselves, and get gym subsidies for students who live south campus, also personal trainers in SPAC that students can work with-greater access to that and make it more affordable.

Any future goals in government?  
I want to take one step at a time and just accomplish this goal of leading this committee. As long as I can accomplish that and speak to the people I will consider that a success.

How do you balance everything?  
It’s all about time management and priorities. I personally do better when I’m busy and I enjoy all of my activities and I make sure I take care of my body with daily physical activity, a good night’s sleep, and healthy eating.

What are some of your favorite things?
Cherries, I like math-calculus, I like nerdy jokes, I like working out and playing tennis and doing yoga. And Reddit-I love Reddit.  

Anything else you want Her Campus to know?
I have the experience, passion and leadership skills for this position. I hope I have your vote….also I have a kitten

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.
Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.