The ASG Candidate Cheat Sheet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With ASG Election Day rapidly approaching, it’s impossible to not notice the abundance of chalk, campaign team members, and social media presence of any of the candidates around campus. Still don’t know who to vote for? HerCampus can help. Here’s your ASG President/Executive Vice President Election Cheat Sheet.

Aaron Zelikovich and Henry Brooke

Campaign: Periodic Table personalized Facebook advertising

Big Goal: Striving to streamline ASG, reaching out to student groups, and helping as many students as possible

Platform: Focus on addressing mental health at its root cause, pushing for open dialogue in the diversity conversation, working more closely with RHA and RCB to meet student housing needs, improving lighting in the quad, working with nuCuisine to advocate for students, highlighting green initiatives including Meatless Mondays, updating alcohol policies to reflect reality of Northwestern, building relationships between student-athletes and the rest of the population, outreach and collaboration within the Greek community, and improving relationships with Evanston

ASG Experience and Accomplishments: Both Zelikovich and Brooke have served as ASG senators. Zelikovich launched the laptop charger rental program at the library while Brooke made the student-athlete Senate seat permanent.

Website: https://groups.northwestern.edu/aaronhenry2013/home.html

Ani Ajith and Alex Van Atta

Campaign: Linking Perspectives; green and purple circular white boards and sidewalk chalked Venn diagrams all over campus

Big Goal: Bringing people and communities together to create a cohesive university; “We’re ready to put our experience and community-centric, get-things-done mentality to work for the entire student body”

Platform: create a “culture of caring” at Northwestern with regards to mental health and Peer Listening, supporting programming and collaboration between student groups, acknowledging shortcomings regarding diversity and learning how to live and work together, increasing sustainability, community collaboration, improving on- and off-campus living conditions, supporting the Residential College Board, improving alcohol policy, culture, and education on campus, working for smarter light placement and better shuttle tracking, updating academic resources, and working with administrators to improve services

ASG Experience and Accomplishments: Ajith was Speaker of the Senate and Van Atta was Student Life Vice President on the 2012-2013 executive board. Previously, Ajith had served as a dorm and off-campus Senator as well.  Ajith organized Deering Days and helped reform and revitalize Senate, while Van Atta brought therapy dogs to campus, helped make last quarter’s 24-hour Norris a reality, and helped create the new Elder shuttle stop.

Website: http://groups.northwestern.edu/anialexforasg/

Benison Choi and Danny Kim

Campaign: Involving You; last week’s painted rock, red/blue plus signs

Big Goal: Enable, Engage, Empower; providing information and tools to use ASG, adding students into the conversation, and executing this new knowledge

Platform: ASG transparency, Senate unity, more accessible funding, more blue lights, increased bike lanes, better shuttle usability, NUDivest, continued light bulbs/shower heads/composting initiatives, bulletin boards and physical calendars, more use of Wildcat Connection, working with a cohesive leadership program for student group leaders to foster collaboration, increased culture weeks and implementation of the diversity curricular requirement proposed last quarter

ASG Experience: Choi served as a dorm Senator and on the Public Relations Committee while Kim also served as a dorm Senator, on the Student Life Committee. Both have been members of the Student Groups committee. Both stepped down from ASG to dedicate themselves to other organizations and see ASG from the outside for a year before running.

Website: http://groups.northwestern.edu/BenisonandDanny/

David Harris and Jo Lee

Campaign: Next Level Northwestern; the arrows and YouTube videos featuring students

Big Goal: Making Northwestern better through valuing its people on the individual and group level. David and Jo want to capitalize on the uniqueness of each individual’s Northwestern experience,

Platform: improve meal plan hours, shuttle timing and heat, reevalaution of the Responsible Action Protocol alcohol policy, improve WiFi, invest in SafeRide, lobby for upperclassmen housing, short-term and long-term investment in Norris, Blue Light App, CA policies, syllabi on CTECs and CAESAR, limited free printing, improved advising and faculty communication, more electrical outlets, equipping CAPS with three new psychologists and creating a peer listening service, increasing ASG’s involvement in the diversity conversation, priroritizing and incentivizing sustainability, digitization of SOFO and a centralized event calendar, more funding for student groups, centralized student group storage, self-governed Greek risk management and evaluation of Freshman Freeze, unifying the Greek voice on campus, improving off-campus listings and reviews, volunteer opportunities, registering students to vote, new spaces in downtown Evanston, turf and track on Long Field, incentivize sporting event attendance, and improving ASG internally and externally

ASG Experience and Accomplishments: Harris served as Services Vice President in 2012-2013, creating BookSwap, JobCat, Cab Corner, and an online study abroad guide that will launch soon. Lee served as a dorm senator, co-authored bills, and worked as a member of the Presidential Leadership Initiative Committee. She also served as ASG Treasurer and launched what is now known as the Operations Committee, creating Eva Jefferson Day programming on Northwestern’s campus.

Website: http://groups.northwestern.edu/dj/

For more information, make sure to take a look at each candidate’s website and social media presence on their websites, and for general election information, follow @NUElection on Twitter or check out https://asg.northwestern.edu/news/2013/04/announcing-asg-2013-election-candidates

Amanda Oppold

Northwestern

Amanda loves being involved with Her Campus at Northwestern University where she is a junior journalism major. She keeps busy by taking leadership roles in her sorority Zeta Tau Alpha, riding horses on Northwestern's Equestrian Team and having fun with her roommates and their kitten Mufasa. One day Amanda hopes to write for a fashion magazine.