AND Should NOT Be in Our DNA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Two years ago, Northwestern University debuted a video titled “AND is in our DNA” on YouTube, and it was shown to first-year students during Wildcat Welcome. The video highlights three different students who play various sports, from Football to Volleyball, and participate in activities outside the classroom like reporting or putting together an art show. The clips aims to encourage and promote the idea that Northwestern students are multi-faceted; we are more than just our sports, our work or our extracurricular activities. While that image is true for many students, I argue that this video promotes an unhealthy, toxic culture of doing way too much and overexerting one’s self to the point of exhaustion, mental break and burning out.

Constantly, I see friends, classmates and acquaintances on the move on Sheridan Road shouting, “ Sorry I can’t talk right now. I have to run to work, then I go to my Spoon meeting and Refresh dance practice”. I cannot claim innocence because, just like everyone else, I am guilty of putting too much on my plate every quarter despite wanting to slow down. So how do we dismantle this “AND” culture?

The first step is to look at your life and the things you are a part of. Many times, I find people do things just because it will look good on a resume or because it would further them in their budding careers. Students are not doing things because it is their passion or they have a deep need to fulfill their lives. So, start doing just that! Go through all of your classes and extracurricular activities and question your reason for joining that club or taking that specific class. Do things that fulfill you and make you happy because then it won’t feel like work.

The second step is to avoid conversations about everything you have to do. It’s understandable that friends want to check in with you. But, I mean more along the lines of “I have this to do AND this AND this AND this AND this”. These types of conversations do more harm than good because you are constantly comparing your list of to-do items with your friends. Instead, do emotional check-ins. Ask about their families or other aspects of their lives to have a better conversation. Plus, you begin to learn more about this individual instead of just focusing on their major and extracurricular activities.

The third step to avoid this toxic culture is to actually talk about the toxicity of doing way too much. At Northwestern, individuals joke a lot about the “AND in our DNA” in real life or via our meme page. But, I believe that actually having a real conversation about this culture on campus could help to dismantle this harmful environment and provide real, substantial change.

Photo credit to All Star Today