Academy Awards: Fashion Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The highly coveted golden statues have been given away, the parties have ended and the sparkle of the biggest night in the movie industry has now faded. For many fashionistas, though, the fun doesn’t have to end just yet. HC chose to hand out our own “Oscar’s” for last night’s notable performances in style on the red carpet.

Best Dressed:

Best Dressed of the Night Award: Gwyneth Paltrow

Photo Credit: justjared.com

This is how it’s done, ladies and gentleman. The Academy Awards are about elegance, grace and poise and Gwyneth hit every note perfectly in this number. The blonde beauty presented an award last night wearing a stunning Tom Ford dress with a crisp white cape. She finished off her look with barely-there makeup and a no-fuss chic ponytail. Simply wow.

Best Look-At-Me Color: Emma Stone

Photo Credit: justjared.com

Emma Stone was definitely strong contestant for best dressed of the evening. While some commented that her gown was too much of a copycat disaster, we think she owned it in her unique way. The color of this Giambattista Valli Haute Couture dresslooksmarvelous against her ivory skin. The dress hugs her body in all the right places with just enough flow that makes it ethereal. This rising fashion star never fails to disappoint on the red carpet, which makes us anxious to see what she has in store next.

Best Breathtaking Print Award: Jessica Chastain

Photo Credit: i.huffpost.com

The print on this jaw-dropping gown was a major risk to take at such a high-profile event, but Jessica made it work flawlessly. The nominee selected an Alexander McQueen dress with posh Harry Winston jewelry accents. She was wise enough not to bother holding a clutch and kept all eyes on the beautiful gold detailing on her amazing dress.

Best Gold Award: Meryl Streep

Photo Credit: justjared.com

She wasn’t about to let the young starlets steal the show! Meryl Streep stepped out in a sparkling gold Lanvin gown, showing everyone that she’s still got it and isn’t afraid to flaunt it. The Oscar winner for Best Actress rocked the red carpet with noticeable confidence, once again proving that true style and glamour doesn’t fade with age.

Best “Business in the Front, Party in the Back” Award: Maya Rudolph

Photo Credit: hollywoodreporter.com, justjared.com

From the front, Maya Rudolph, appeared to have picked an über-boring dress. Once she turned around, however, jaws dropped. The mediocre frontof the plum Johanna Johnson gown with a questionable, awkward belt was completely redeemed with the stunning jewel beading lining the back corset of the dress. Beautiful side-swept curls and rosy makeup completed this regal yet fun look.

Best Northwestern Pride Award: Sarah Hyland

Photo Credit: hollywoodreporter.com

The Modern Family starletsure would make a lovely date for our beloved Willie the Wildcat. In a purple hued Alberta Feretti dress, Sarah was a vision of the perfect NU homecoming queen. The asymmetrical sleeves add some funkiness to an otherwise princess-y gown. With flawless hair and sultry makeup, Sarah kept this look from looing too girly and shined in refined elegance instead.

Best Old School Glamour: Milla Jovovich

Photo Credit: hollywoodreporter.com

Milla Jovovich was a little Marilyn, a little Audrey and all stunning sophistication last night. The beautiful Eli Saab couture gown was embellished with jewels and a one-shoulder sleeve. What made this look stand out from the plethora of sparkly dresses last night, however, was the way Milla owned the red carpet with her sultry gaze and confidence.

Worst Dressed:

Worst 80’s Memories Award: Kelly Osbourne

Photo Credit: hollywoodreporter.com

The E! host wearing a Georges Hobeika gown looked like a train wreck straight from the 80’s. As a lover of glitter and sparkle myself, it hurts to bash on this dress, but what’s wrong is wrong. The hair color and obnoxious lip color is seriously not helping matters either.

Worst Bridesmaid Couture Award: Berenice Bejo

Photo Credit: justjared.com

Berenice Bejo from The Artist may have been told that a green dress would complement her hair color, but she may not have listened long enough to hear exactly what shade of green it should be. The light mint hue of this Elie Saab gown washed out her complexion and looks like a bridesmaid dress gone horribly wrong.

“My How You’ve Aged” Award: Shailene Woodly

Photo Credit: stylebistro.com

At an age not even legal to drink in this country, Shailene Woodly is more covered up than Meryl Streep and Glenn Close, both of whom are on the 60’s age bracket. This high collared, full-sleeved dress is oddly reminiscent of a nun habit, giving everyone a Sister Act flashback. Shailene may have been going for a lady-like and polished look, but she ended up looking stuffy and aged instead.

Love Everything…Except the Color Award: Viola Davis

Photo Credit: justjared.com

Viola Davis wore a very fun custom Vera Wang gown, possibly a dream gown for every girl. The design and cut of the dress, however, is a big fashion dare. She could have pulled it off better if the dress had been in a nude or sandy beige color, which would have made her skin glow. Instead, she opted for an odd green shade, which vaguely reminded us of our favorite ogre. What a shame, but maybe next time.

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.