This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Not feeling like listening to music? Don’t have time to sit down for TV? Podcasts are the perfect solution! Whatever mood you’re in, there’s a podcast out there that’s just right for you. You can rest, relax and listen — or even have one playing in the background while you do chores or homework. 

Luckily, I’ve curated a list of recommendations the next time you aren’t sure what podcast to put on. 

1. When you could go for some sisterly advice: “Anything Goes with Emma Chamberlain” from Ramble 

Internet personality and owner of Chamberlain Coffee, Emma Chamberlain, is beloved by many. With her witty and insightful personality, listening to “Anything Goes” feels like hanging out with your best friend. It really is my comfort podcast. Episode topics range from fun things like a would you rather segment to more meaningful advice about stepping out of your comfort zone.  

1. When you want to know what’s going on in the world: “The Daily” from The New York Times 

There’s a lot happening, and it can be hard to keep up. Host Michael Barbaro brings you the top news stories so you can be a more informed and educated citizen. According to Newsweek, it is the second most popular podcast in America as of November 2021. 

1. When you want to listen to the news but are in a sillier, goofier mood: “What a Day” from Crooked Media

I get it — the news can be stressful and scary. This podcast delivers the major headlines with a more humorous tone; you even get the occasional comedy segment. It feels like friends joking around while also explaining the news to you. 

1. When you want to learn a LOT about something obscure: “Stuff You Should Know” from iHeartRadio  

Since 2008, hosts Josh Clark and Charles W. “Chuck” Bryant have been releasing multiple episodes per week that delve deeply into one topic. Previous topics include moss, tacos and even “the twisted history of dentistry.” If you become a regular listener, you’re bound to have the best fun facts to share with friends, and you’ll win all the trivia nights. 

1. When you’re the kind of person who is intrigued by true crime and mysteries: “Crime Junkie” from audiochuck 

Audiochuck is a female-focused podcast network. Each “Crime Junkie” episode typically tackles one true crime case, spilling all the details. Since its debut, “Crime Junkie” has sold over 630 stories and donated $643,000 of its profits to charity. As hosts Ashley and Brit would say, this series will give you Full. Body. Chills. 

1. When you want to see a new perspective, learn something new, or feel empowered: “TED Talks Daily” from TED 

We all love a good TED Talk. Why limit yourself to just YouTube videos? 

1. When you’re trying to brush up on your language skills: “Coffee Break” from Coffee Break Languages 

Whether you’re picking up a language for fun, preparing to study or travel abroad or taking a college course, “Coffee Break” is an easy way to supplement your skills whenever, wherever.

Kara Peeler

Northwestern '25

Kara is a first year from Maryland majoring in journalism and political science. She is pursuing a career in journalism. When she's not writing, she enjoys running, cooking, baking and reading.