Style > Beauty

7 Amazing Female Youtubers Who Are NOT Beauty Gurus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Over the last ten years, YouTube has evolved into much more than a video platform on the Internet. It has become one of the most well-recognized social sites around, giving rise to everyday people with cameras—and even elevating a few to the status of minor celebrities.

This period of growth for YouTube has also led to an increase in the amount of female YouTubers of all ages taking to computer screens and sharing their messages with the cyber world. Most of these female video bloggers—vloggers—got to where they are today by sharing tips about make up, hair and beauty routines. These beauty vloggers have, unfortunately, created a reputation for women on YouTube, making it difficult to discover female YouTubers whose content focuses on more.

As fantastic as it is to find beauty gurus on YouTube (because who doesn’t need a good hair tutorial every now and then?), it’s also great to find some female YouTubers who discuss topics other than the best brand of eye shadow to buy.

Social media platforms of all kinds have a huge influence on their users. YouTube, in particular, isn’t just words on a screen. There is a face, a personality and a baseline theme or message established for every YouTuber—making their presence on the screen all the more meaningful.

For anyone who is like me and spends a significant portion of their free time on YouTube, I have compiled a list of inspiring YouTube ladies who cover a variety of topics on their channels and inspire Internet users of all ages. Check them out, and find out what other tips and advice the women of YouTube have to share.

1.     Carrie Hope Fletcher

At over six-hundred thousand subscribers, one of my favorite YouTubers is Carrie Hope Fletcher, also known as ItsWayPastMyBedtime. Fletcher is a 23-year-old singer, songwriter and actress—currently playing Éponine in London’s Queen’s Theatre production of Les Misérables since 2013. Not only does Fletcher act, she obsesses over all things Disney and even does ukulele covers of her favorite Disney songs. Having declared herself as the “honorary big sister” of all her subscribers, Fletcher uses her channel to discuss topics such as creativity and self-care. She also focuses on the importance of self-acceptance and self-confidence. Fletcher has even written a book called All I Know Now, in which she shares experiences from her life and gives advice to those younger than her in case they ever find themselves in similar situations. So if you need a smile or a new virtual best friend, check out Carrie’s channel! Check out Carrie’s Am I Qualified to be Creative? video below!

2.     Lilly Singh

For anyone who’s spent some time on YouTube, you’ve probably heard of Superwoman, also known as Lilly Singh. Singh is an Indian-Canadian vlogger who creates comedic sketches—often portraying her Indian culture—about events in her everyday life. Apart from vlogging, Singh is also a motivational-speaker and rapper. At over 7.5 million subscribers, Singh even announced in her most recent video that her presence on YouTube has earned her a spot on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon. Check out Lilly’s How Girls Get Ready… video below!

3.     Grace Helbig

Originally known as DailyGrace, Grace Helbig is a 30-year-old American actress and comedian known for her sarcastic sense of humor and unique videos. Helbig describes herself as a “charming idiot,” making humorous DIY, cooking and challenge videos with her many YouTube friends. Helbig has even starred in the movie Camp Takota (2014) alongside fellow comedians and YouTubers Hannah Hart and Mamrie Hart. Helbig’s success online even led to the start of her own late-night talk show, The Grace Helbig Show, on E!. Helbig’s channel is definitely worth checking out, especially this video on the best 5 Prom Outfit Ideas!

4.     Laci Green

With almost 1.5 million YouTube subscribers, Laci Green is a 26-year-old American YouTube star primarily known for her videos about sex, sexual health, and feminism. As a self-proclaimed sex-education activist, Green has visited several universities and given many talks about sex-education, looking to advance the sex-positive movement. Green says it is her goal to decrease the social stigma around sex and educate people so they can speak about sex in a manner that is not “shameful, awkward, or weird.” If you want to join Laci in becoming more educated about sex, check out her channel! Check out Laci’s WHY I’M A…FEMINIST *gasp* video below!

5.     Natalie Tran

Also known by her YouTube username as communitychannel, Natalie Tran is a 29-year-old Australian-Vietnamese vlogger and sketch-comedian with over 1.5 million subscribers. Tran started her channel nine years ago and has since inspired multiple famous YouTubers–like danisnotonfire–to begin vlogging. Tran’s videos focus primarily on stories from her everyday life–often illustrated through skits and the use of self-deprecating humor. Though Tran is most well-known for her humor videos, some of her other videos address more serious topics such as depression, racism and national identity. Recognized as one of YouTube’s most popular content creators, Tran is sure to make you smile. Check out Natalie’s B Left the Door Open video below!

6.     Hannah Hart

Known on YouTube as MyHarto, Hannah Hart is 29-year-old YouTube comedian with almost 2.5 million subscribers. Hart starred alongside friends Grace Helbig and Mamrie Hart—no relation—in their 2014 movie Camp Takota. Hart is a beloved YouTuber known for her segment My Drunk Kitchen, in which she gets drunk and films herself making unique dishes, like grilled cheese without any cheese. Hart is also openly lesbian – dating fellow YouTuber Ingrid Nilsen – and has made videos discussing the topic of sexuality and acceptance. The hilarious YouTuber is also known for her collaborations with her friends and fellow online personalities such as Tyler Oakley. So if strange recipes and drunken humor are your cup of tea then stop by Hart’s channel for a laugh. Check out Hannah’s MY DRUNK KITCHEN: Nutella Popcorn! video below!

7.     Anna Akana

Last but not least, Anna Akana is a 26-year-old Asian-American filmmaker and comedian with 1.3 million subscribers. Having started her YouTube channel after her 13-year-old sister committed suicide, Akana turned to comedy as a positive outlet to help her move on with her life. This source of inspiration still shows in Akana’s more serious videos about panic attacks, toxic friendships, and public anxiety. The majority of Akana’s videos, however, involve satirical sketches and monologues poking fun at everyday issues—including healthy relationships and losing friends—while also giving advice on how to handle various situations. If you’re looking for a positive YouTuber with a message to share, check out Anna Akana’s channel! Check out Anna’s Single, Not Ready to Mingle video below!