6 Things to Do For Sexual Assault Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

This month is Sexual Assault Awareness month, and at Northwestern we are trying to make the best of this month that we can! Especially as women on a college campus, it can difficult to always feel safe. This month is a way to support sexual assault survivors, bring awareness to this important topic, get involved to help end sexual assault, and educate yourself and others on this very real issue that can be closer than you think. There are a bunch of activities in the coming weeks, and this is a great way to get involved in a really important cause that can strengthen our community. Brought to us by the Center for Awareness, Response & Education (CARE), here is a list of six things you can do this month to raise awareness about this important issue and help end sexual assault.

1. Care Class

If you are looking for weekly group to explore the impact of sexual violence in our community, you have come to the right place. Every Friday from April 7th to May 26th, Care will be holding a class in Searle Hall on the 3rd floor from 12-1:30pm. This is a great way to discuss a variety of important topics in a safe space with people from our community. For more info, email care@northwestern.edu

2. Open Step Workshop

If you are confused and don’t know how to intervene when you think someone might be in an unsafe situation, hit up this helpful workshop on Tuesday April 11th at 5pm in the Norris Arch Room. This workshop is a 90-minute session that will train you to safely and effectively get people out of potentially harmful situation if you think you might be a bystander. Email lorrena.johnson@northwestern.edu to rsvp or ask any more questions.

3. Open Support Starts Here Training

This training session is held April 26th in Searle Hall from 3 to 4:30pm. Here you will learn the most effective way of supporting survivors of sexual assault, stalking, or relationship violence. This training session will give you tips and a better understanding of helping and talking to survivors. This will help us create a safer and more understanding community. To RSVP, email care@northwestern.edu

4. Take Back the Night

In collaboration with Northwestern University College Feminists, this annual event is meant to raise awareness of sexual assault and support survivors. On Thursday April 20th, Take Back the Night begins with a rally, leading into a march, and finishing off with a speak-out. This meaningful event is a way for our community to come together and fight a huge issue that should be important to all of us.

5. Wrong Way Journey, Performance and Workshop

This performance illustrates the story of a queer woman on her journey to healing and finding who she is again after being raped at college. Partnering with the Women’s Center, Care is able to bring this wonderful event to Northwestern Campus. Following the performance will be a workshop on “the storytelling of trauma, identity, and sexuality.” This event will be held April 26th in The Great Room at 7pm.

6. CCSV Quarterly Meeting

The Campus Coalition on Sexual Violence quarterly meeting will be held on May 3rd from 3 to 5pm in Searle Hall. This meeting is populated with many people from our community who are eager to bring about change and connect community members in everything from activism to more.