freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

6 Heartfelt February Reads You Need to Check Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Valentine’s Day may be behind us, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate relationships all year round! Here’s a quick breakdown of some heartfelt reads for the month of love <3

Better than the movies – Lynn Painter

This book is the epitome of a romantic comedy in literary form. Wes Bennett and Liz Buxbaum are next-door neighbors who have loathed each other since childhood. But when Liz wants to make a move on her forever beau Micheal, she (unfortunately) has to enlist Wes for help. An enemies-to-friends-to-lovers classic featuring iconic rom-com quotes at the start of each chapter, this book is absolutely adorable and so much fun. Perfect for a light read to break up the monotony of textbook chapters and final exam preparation.

In Five Years – Rebecca Serle

This book was so heart-warming and wonderful. I’m a huge fan of Serle’s writing style, and In Five Years was as beautifully articulated as her previous works. The story follows corporate lawyer Dannie Kohan and her perfectly curated life in the Big Apple that goes exactly as planned. When she wakes up five years into the future in a completely different life with a brand new man, she begins to question her entire existence. When Dannie returns to the present, her existential crisis and intrinsic growth are nurtured by her best friend, the lively and carefree Bella. Serle highlights the power of feminine friendships with such care, and I couldn’t recommend this story more! 

Icebreaker – Hannah grace

So I love, love, LOVE Icebreaker. A sports romance between a champion collegiate figure skater and an ice hockey player — this story is anything but chill. Nate Hawkins and Anastasia Allen are forced into each other’s lives through a series of unfortunate events that require their respective teams to share a rink. Anastasia hates hockey players and surprises, so having the team captain fill in for her injured skating partner was definitely NOT in one of her many planners. The banter and build-up in this book are perfectly executed, and it’s nothing short of entertaining. Read at your own risk — you won’t be able to put it down!

Book Lovers – emily henry

Who doesn’t love a good small-town romance? Nora Stevens is a workaholic with a chip on her shoulder. She has a soft spot for her little sister Libby and agrees to leave the big city for Sunshine Falls solely for a sister trip. When the brooding Charlie Lastra from her literary agency in NYC makes an appearance in the tiny town, Nora can’t seem to get away from him… but maybe that’s not such a bad thing. Emily Henry never fails to deliver — and Book Lovers is no exception! Every character was meticulously crafted and insanely idiosyncratic, and falling in love with Sunshine Falls along the way was inevitable. Truly a Hallmark movie on the page!

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants – ann brashares

After America Ferrera’s Barbie movie resurgence and Blake Lively’s Superbowl screen time, I had to recommend the timeless Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series. The nostalgic films were based on Ann Brashares’ pentalogy, following the lives of four teenage girls as they navigate the transition into womanhood. Lena, Tibby, Bee, and Carmen trade a dynamic pair of pants for the dirty details of their daily lives, becoming the best versions of themselves along the way. This is a heartwarming read for college women everywhere — and a reminder of the importance of surrounding yourself with people who help you thrive!

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants graduation scene
Warner Bros. Pictures

Everything i know about love – dolly alderton

This was the book I didn’t know I needed. In her memoir, Dolly Alderton takes readers on a diaristic journey through her evolution from girlhood to womanhood, outlining the myriad of quarter-life crises she endured during both her early and late 20s. The story ends when Dolly turns 30 and details the lessons she learned along the way. She reflects upon the fact that life can still be exciting and fun, even after what society deems as the “prime time” for women to thrive. The narration of this novel is impeccable, and all women will see themselves in some aspect of Dolly’s exploration of romance, friendship, and self-love. I could not offer higher praise for this story, and I cannot wait to read it again!

Kayln Jackson

Northwestern '26

Kayln is a sophomore at Northwestern studying political science on the pre-law track. She enjoys writing about fashion and the entertainment industry. When she’s not writing for HC, you can probably find her playing her ukulele, planning her dream vacation, or spending way too much time on Pinterest.