6 Halloween Costumes Perfect for Millennials

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There are countless stereotypes associated with millennial culture, from spending all of our money on avocado toast, to exclusively buying items that are rose gold (I say, typing from my MacBook adorned with an avocado case). And while we express ourselves all year round, the season when our most #basic millennial nature comes out is around Halloween. Our taste in costumes is a pillar of our culture, especially on college campuses. Here are some of the most “millennial” Halloween ensembles that you are bound to see at a party this upcoming weekend:

1. Avocado

This is partially a joke because I’ve never actually seen anyone dress up as an avocado (at least, not yet anyway). But since the meme about millennials being unable to buy a house because they spend too much on avocado toast went viral this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if students took advantage of the popularity and turned it into a trendy costume.

2. Eleven from “Stranger Things”

Based on how popular “Stranger Things” was last year, and how much anticipation there is for season 2, I would be shocked if you didn’t spot someone dressed up as Eleven this Halloween season. Plus, the costume is adorable and relatively straightforward – who doesn’t want to carry around frozen waffles?

3. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman took over the world this summer, and rightfully so – how long did we have to wait for a female superhero to headline a successful movie? Not only is the idea of dressing up as Wonder Woman insanely empowering, but the costume options are undeniably cute. Whether you see someone rocking the full-on outfit, or simply wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt, this costume idea is guaranteed to be everywhere.

4. Enchanting Deer

While the deer might be the most popular, this trend encompasses any easy animal costume that can be put together with some beautiful, glowing makeup and a pair of ears. Millennials, especially on a college campus, don’t have the time (or money) to go out and buy a real costume just for a party in the basement of a frat house. Convenience is a core part of the millennial nature, so isn’t it obvious why this costume is so popular?

5. Any Character from “Mean Girls”

It’s been 13 years, and “Mean Girls” is far from going out of style. Not only are costumes inspired by this movie iconic, they are also really simple to put together with stuff already in your closet; what more could a millennial want?

6. Kim Possible

I picked Kim Possible as the main example, but under this category is basically any Disney Channel-inspired costume, whether it’s Hannah Montana or the Cheetah Girls. There is nothing better than a throwback to classic Disney Channel, and there is never a better time to embrace your childhood than on Halloween.

These costumes may be basic, but they are also all easy, breezy and (depending on your opinion on avocados) pretty beautiful. Don’t feel bad if one of these choices was your go-to plan for this upcoming weekend – just know that you are embodying your true millennial culture, and be proud. 

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy

Cover Photo Courtesy of PixaBay

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.