This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Is your winter style already in a rut? It can be hard to feel fun and fashionable in sub-zero temperatures, and it sometimes seems like all winter clothes are dark and sad. But don’t worry! With some creativity and layering, there are lots of ways to make your winter wardrobe more colorful and interesting.

1. Blanket Scarves

Blanket scarves are a great layering piece – there are so many different ways to rock them. Some are so big and warm that you can even wear it as a coat itself. It is so easy to add a pop of color or print without investing in a bright coat!

2. Cute Gloves

Sometimes it is so cold that you aren’t able to show off your cute manicure in the winter! So, try the next best thing, which are cute gloves – they are a relatively inexpensive and easy way to add a pop of color to your outfit and keep your fingers warm. Plus, you can even find the kind where you can text with them on, it’s every millenials dream.

3. Mixing Prints

Even if you don’t feel brave enough to go out in a bright color this season, it is easy to create interest in your outfits by mixing prints. If they are in the same monochromatic color family, try playing with scale and size. Different stripes and plaids can look great together – take some risks, it will pay off!

4. Hats!

Hats can be an awesome accessory in all seasons to keep your face out of the sun or to cover up greasy roots. Escpecially in the winter, they certainly become a necessity. They say you lose most of your body heat through your head and hats can be a great way to amp up a winter outfit, escpecially with colorful beanies!

5. Colorful Tights

Most days in the winter, we need tights to keep our legs warm under skirts and dresses. Why not take a break from the basic black and add a pop of color? Take after this lady and match them to your shoes for extra leg-lengthening effect!

After all these tips, you are sure to find a way to add a quirky touch to your cold weather wardrobe and beat the winter blues!

Hi! I am a social policy major from San Francisco, California. Some of my favorites things to do are thrift shopping, exploring museums, and drinking tea. My role models are 90's TV heroines, and I love foggy days. I am super excited to be writing for HerCampus!