5 Ways to Prepare for Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It is officially the holiday season and you know what that means – it’s time to do some serious shopping! Black Friday is a “holiday” that some people take very seriously – whether that means hitting the store at midnight after a great Thanksgiving dinner, or simply planning out the most effective ways to make sure you get the best deals online. Here are 5 ways you can make sure you don’t miss out on the best bargains of the season:

1. Do some research

There are some crazy shoppers out there who are willing to go to some pretty extreme lengths to make sure they don’t waste a penny on gift buying. While that might not be necessary, it is probably worth doing a little research to figure out what stores are having sales and what time their doors open, because there will be people there right when they do.

2. Make a list (and check it twice!)

Black Friday is arguably the best time to save on some of the holiday gifts you will need to buy. Make sure you know who you have to buy gifts for so you can shop with a purpose and not get distracted and caught up in the craziness of the day.

3. Bring your squad

Black Friday bargain shoppers are a whole different species of human and conquering the crowd can sometimes be intimidating. It’s always a good idea to bring some friends to take on the crazy day with you. It can also be life saver to have a friend to hold your spot in line when you go to grab that one last thing you almost forgot.

4. Set a budget

This goes hand in hand with knowing who you are shopping for. With all of the amazing sales going on it is easy to keep grabbing those “oh-it’s-only-twenty-dollars” items and come Friday night, the bank is broken. Going in with a clear idea of how much you want to spend will definitely be helpful.

5. Have Fun!!

While gift shopping and maneuvering your way through crowds can be a little stressful, try not to let the holiday spirit escape you. It’s a time to be happy and enjoy time with family and friends! Even if you don’t get that $10 scarf you had your eye on, remember it is not the end of the world, even though the Black Friday mania will suggest otherwise.

GIF sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5