This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Let’s be real – life is crazy! Every day we deal with stress, emotions, and the unpredictability of the world; exciting as that is, it can also be exhausting. It can sometimes help to take a step back and practice some self-care to keep the craziness at bay. 

Do Nothing

This sounds insane, I know – who has time to sit around and do nothing? But, if you sit down and take a mental evaluation of your day, odds are you can scrounge up 30 minutes or an hour to have some personal time. Maybe you can shorten your lunch break, cut out a few minutes of social media time, or wake up a few minutes earlier. Having a few minutes per day to sit in peace and shut out the world for a bit can be extremely therapeutic – take this “nothing” time to drink a cup of tea, meditate or simply sit near a window and watch the world. 

Do Your Favorite Things

Often the busier we are, the less fun things we do. Our favorite activities are usually the first things to fall by the wayside when schedules fill up, but are actually the most important and helpful aspect of maintaining sanity. Try to plan at least one or two activities per week, even if it’s a simple as setting a time to watch your favorite show with your roommate – that way you always have something to look forward to.

Treat Yourself in Whatever Capacity You Can

We’ve all heard it… “Girl, treat yo’self!” It can be as simple as buying some bubble bath and a paperback romance and treating yourself to a relaxing bath, or as luxurious as a 90-minute deep tissue massage and a mani/pedi. Finding a treat that fits your budget is a great way to practice self-care; don’t splurge so often that it negatively affects your finances, but a small treat now and then or a larger treat after some dedicated saving is perfectly fine! Treats can also be physical items and can serve as little bright spots in your day – buy your favorite candy bar as a treat for a period of dedicated exercise, or buy a succulent from Target so that you can smile every time you see it in your apartment.

Enjoy a Meal with Friends

You have to be careful that “treat yourself” doesn’t turn into “constantly eat my favorite unhealthy foods.” However, for those occasional times when you do want to indulge in a nice meal, the best way to make the most of the experience is to share it with friends or family. Good food, good conversation, and a few moments away from your usual life schedule can be extremely therapeutic! 

Exercise

This doesn’t have to mean running on the treadmill for an hour or taking a Zumba class – it can be as simple as a short walk outdoors for some fresh air and activity. Moving around at your own pace can be a great way to keep your heart healthy as well as getting some much needed you time! 

Whatever your preferred method of self-care, make sure you find something that you can do to relax every so often. Life is all about balance, just the right combination of work and play will make all the difference!

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.