courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Help Make College a Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

After three relaxing, care-free weeks at home over the holidays, coming back to Northwestern University for winter quarter seemed much more permanent. At home, fall quarter seemed more like a 4-month-long camp. During fall quarter, home seemed like a desperate world.Now, as the end of winter quarter quickly approaches, reality sets in. I am truly cognizant that this campus, my friends and my dorm room make up my present home and I am no longer plunged between my old chapter and the dream-like existence was once college.

Perhaps it is the colder climate that has prompted me to choose cozy nights-in over adventurous nights out, or perhaps it is my own comfortability with my classes and campus that help me accept Northwestern as my home. But, most importantly, I think it is the comfortability I feel with my friends. At the beginning of the year, it feels almost impossible to find people who you connect with in the whirlwind that is Wildcat Welcome. Once you’ve found a few people, it is a matter of maintaining those relationships by making sure each friend feels cared for and valued. Here are five ways to remind your friends they are valued while simultaneously fostering an environment that truly feels like home.

1) Communal snacks

What’s mine is yours they always say. Create a communal food drawer for you and all your friends. There’s something comforting about having healthy snacks and special treats at your disposal like a home pantry. Also, by sharing with others, it establishes relationships based on mutual trust!

2) Lounge TV Night

Whenever you have the inclination to have a Netflix binge watching marathon in your bed, include your friends by watching it in the dorm lounge or common living space. All you need is an HDMI cord and a few packets of microwavable popcorn to make a relaxing activity more inclusive with your friends.

3) White Board or Sticky Note Messages

Most dorm rooms have some form of white board or Post-Its available. Write a sweet message on your friends board on your way to class. Even the smallest actions can make his/her day.

4) Make Study Breaks Special

If you are stressed and feel that you must bury yourself in your text book all day – invite a friend to study with you! Instead of cramming in the sad library, go to a cafe in downtown Evanston. Coffee and camraderie can get you through any midterm-jam session and help your friend do the same.

5) Facetime with Parents

The next time you are Facetime-ing with the ‘rents, invite your friend to say hi. By introducing them to your family, it not only tells your family how important they are to you, but gives your friends some validity in the friendship. It’s the classic “take your college friend to thanksgiving dinner for your parents approval,” only in a much smaller scale, casual setting.

So there you have it; finding ways to show your friends that they are special can also make college feel more homey!

Michelle is freshman in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, and IMC at Northwestern University. Michelle is originally from Menlo Park, CA--about forty minutes away from San Francisco and forty seconds away from Facebook HQ. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found dancing. In fact, she's always dancing.