5 Study Break Ideas To Try Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With the end of fall quarter fast approaching, papers and projects have begun to pile on, leaving us both overwhelmed and short on time.  Late night cramming can get stressful, so when you feel as if you’re about to break it might be helpful to put your work aside for a few minutes and clear your mind.  While a few simple breathing exercises may do the job for some, it’s nice to really get out of your element before hitting the books hard for the third time in a row.  Check out some alternative study breaks below:

1.  Have a silent dance party.  Grab a few of your floormates and head to the lounge, bringing your iPods with you.  Ask everyone to turn on a different song and plug in their headphones. Jam out for about 15 minutes, dancing along to your own personal beats.  The rush of adrenaline will keep your energy up after you return to studying, and you’ll satisfy your social contact craving.

2.  Getting outside is also a great way to boost brain power.  Take a walk to Norbucks and reward yourself with a hot drink.  If you’re planning on staying up late, opt for coffee to keep your energy high.

3.  Clean your room.  Though not an appealing task, doing something productive will give you a sense of accomplishment and motivate you to finish the rest of your work.  Also, having a clean work space will help you focus.

4.  Put together a playlist.  Listening to music will help you relax and also enjoy yourself.  By selecting songs with a specific theme in mind, you’ll keep the logical, left side of your brain running.

5.  Play a board game or cards.  This will put you in a strategic mindset, and won’t turn your brain off like watching TV or napping would.

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.