5 Pairs of Boots Every Girl Needs for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Wintertime in Evanston calls for a major shift in wardrobe: knit sweaters replace tank tops, sundresses are exchanged for leggings and jeans, and suddenly a giant winter coat is taking up way too much closet space. With this outerwear swap comes a necessity for some new footwear. For girls hoping to look cute while braving the cold, here are five types of boots you can’t live without.

All-weather Boots

It’s essential to have a pair of sturdy boots that will preserve your feet through the worst of winter weather—but these shoes don’t need to be bulky and big to get the job done! Look to stores like L.L. Bean and Sorel for a pair of insulated and waterproof lace up boots. They’ll keep your toes from feeling the chill of the icy snow you’re trudging through without keeping your outfit from looking great.

Riding Boots

On days when you don’t need to walk through puddles of snow and slush, you’ll want another cute pair of boots that you can throw on for class, dinner, or an event in Chicago. Riding boots are a valuable addition to any winter closet. Concerned about practicality? Lots of shoe repair stores will add soles to your boots to make sure that they last through the winter—and that you don’t slip!

Rain Boots

An umbrella and a waterproof jacket aren’t the only key items needed to travel across campus on a rainy day. A sturdy pair of rain boots, especially tall ones, keep you out of the splash zone from the knee down. If you want to make them extra cozy, buy a pair sock liners for your wellies to keep feet bundled up beneath the showers—it can get cold under there.

High-heeled Booties

Just because the seasons are changing, doesn’t mean the nightlife is! The seasonal side-effects will make going out in open-toed shoes seem less than ideal, and no girl wants to soak her toes in flats. A pair of high-heeled booties will keep feet elevated and protected from the frosty sidewalks, while still delivering you to a party in style.

UGG Boots

Can’t stand the thought of leaving the library or your room? Uggs can easily help you out! Although they may not be the most stylish of all boots, these shoes—essentially giant slippers—allow you extraordinary comfort without needing to change out of your sweatpants. They also keep feet warm, dry, and comfy in most winter conditions. Be careful, though: these aren’t going to hold up through long walks in deep snow!

^ UGG ‘Juliette’ Boot  http://shop.nordstrom.com/