5 Notes on Super Bowl 49

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Side note: it’s technically Super Bowl XLIX.

1.     Even matchup

Both the New England Patriots and the Seattle Seahawks are 14-4 on the whole for the season. In fact, their records make them the top seeds in their respective conferences, which isn’t common for a Super Bowl. The betting odds have also shown both teams as favorites, so at this point it’s a toss-up.

2.     History in the making

Kickoff’ isn’t for two days and already this game is noteworthy. It’s exceptional in that both quarterbacks have Super Bowl experience. The Pats’ Tom Brady will make his sixth Super Bowl appearance, and a win will give him his fourth victory, tying Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana’s NFL record for most Super Bowl wins by a quarterback. Seattle’s Russell Wilson is fighting to bring home his second consecutive Lombardi trophy, and he’s got an edge: the QB is 10-0 against Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks. On the sidelines, New England’s head coach Bill Belichick will become only the second in history to coach six super bowls.

3.     Trick plays

Head coaches Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick (who, interestingly enough, replaced Carroll as the Pats’ head coach in 2000) are fans of deception. Fake field goals, wide receivers throwing touchdowns and unconventional formations have led both teams this far, so you can expect the unexpected on Feb. 1.

4.     Deflate-gate

The Patriots are no strangers to controversy. Back in 2007, the team illegally videotaped the Jets’ defensive coaches’ signals. Recent allegations made against the team suggest they deflated footballs during the AFC Championship Game versus the Colts. But with all the attention those footballs are getting, there’s no doubt all game balls will be sufficiently inflated for kickoff.

5.     Hot n Cold Halftime

Last but not least, the always-vivacious Katy Perry is performing at halftime. Lenny Kravitz will be backing her up, but rumors are floating that others may make surprise appearances.

Tune in to NBC on Feb. 1 to catch all the action (and the inevitable Doritos and heartfelt Budweiser Clydesdale commercials).

Images from bostonglobe.com and giphy.com