5 of My Favorite Movies That Have Terrible Reviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

My taste in movies has no rhyme or reason; I love watching “Black Swan,” in all of its nerve-wracking glory, as much as I enjoy curling up to “Marley & Me.” Some of the movies I like have won Academy Awards; others are lucky enough that they made it to the theaters in the first place. In fact, some of my all-time favorite movies that I can binge over and over again have some of the worst reviews ever. Here is a list of some of my most beloved movies that got torn to shreds by critics, but still hold a dear place in my heart.

1. The Last Song (20 percent on Rotten Tomatoes)

I remember when I first read this book; I finished it in one sitting I was so addicted. Believe it or not, “The Last Song” was my first experience with the wondrous, romantic world of Nicholas Sparks – even before “The Notebook.” There is so much that I adore about this movie; it makes me laugh, it makes me cry (I literally sob every time) and the soundtrack is to die for. Plus, it was while filming this movie that Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth got together. What could be more perfect than a movie romance that translates into real life?

2. Valentine’s Day (18 percent on Rotten Tomatoes)

Ever since watching “Love Actually,” I have become a hardcore fan of movies that juggle multiple storylines. I find that it holds my attention, and is a cute twist on the classic tropes of romantic comedies. “Valentine’s Day” in particular has so many of my favorite actors and actresses, from Julia Roberts to Ashton Kutcher, that no matter how low its score on Rotten Tomatoes is, I’ll always want to watch it (especially in February).

3. The Gallows (16 percent on Rotten Tomatoes)

Horror is my second favorite genre of films, right behind romantic comedies, but usually I only like scary movies that don’t rely solely on a slew of jump scares. However, “The Gallows” is an exception; somehow, I managed to thoroughly enjoy the amount of terror this movie created, even though the plotline was less than original and the acting, as in most horror films, was far from memorable. Maybe I should rewatch this to make sure I actually liked it, but from what I can remember, I went home from the theater afraid of sleeping in the dark, and that counts as a successful horror movie experience for me.

4. Click (32 percent on Rotten Tomatoes)

This is another movie that I haven’t watched in ages, but I have so many fond memories of. The premise is unique, and both amusing and heart-wrenching at the same time. I’m not usually a fan of Adam Sandler, but his performance in “Click” has always made me think of him in some semblance of a positive light. If you’re looking for an iconic family-friendly movie, this is definitely the one for you.

5. It’s Complicated (57 percent on Rotten Tomatoes)

I was legitimately shocked when I found out “It’s Complicated” has a relatively low Rotten Tomatoes score. Granted, 57 percent isn’t the worst, but it’s still not a “fresh” rating. The cast of this movie is to die for – Meryl Streep, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, John Krasinski – and who doesn’t adore a romantic comedy centered around characters who aren’t quite so young? I found this movie to be charming and heart-warming, and it is always going to be one of my favorite rom-coms to look back on, despite what the critics may say.

Cover Photo Courtesy of PixaBay

Gifs Courtesy of Giphy

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.