5 Fashion Tips from Victoria Beckham

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

“I’m not a six-foot-tall model, nor am I a pin-up for men, and, for this book, that’s my strength, because I’m a girl’s girl.”

That’s how fashion icon, woman who captured David Beckham’s heart and the fabulous Spice Girl we all know as Posh describes herself. At first glance her book, That Extra Half an Inch: Hair, Heels and Everything in Between, may seem like a typical fashion book written by a celebrity loved mostly by women. This surprisingly entertaining book doesn’t only talk about Beckham’s fashion, but also lists many of her tips on becoming the perfect bride, buying your friends and family the most exquisite holiday gifts and getting your makeup done in 10 minutes every time. This honest, witty and wonderfully informative read makes you realize you in fact have much more in common with Mrs. Beckham than you would have ever imagined. Here are some of her best tips she has that will make any girl smile and be thoroughly inspired.

1.      Size matters- but the label doesn’t.

Photo credit: trend911.com

The first chapter of That Extra Half an Inch is entirely dedicated to one of Beckham’s favorite clothing items: jeans. More than any other piece of clothing, Beckham says jeans can show off your figure to its best. When it comes to finding the right pair that suits your figure, the fit of the jean is crucial. “Look for jeans that are cut higher at the back so not only do they not gape but also they don’t give you builder’s bottom every time you sit down,” Beckham says. When it comes to sizing, though, she stresses to never get caught up with numbers. “Yes, you want a pair of jeans that is good and slim on the legs, but that does not mean you should try to squeeze yourself into a pair that is just too small because you can’t face the idea of going up a size,” she writes. “Whatever your size, it’s important to firstly try your jeans on to make sure they fit, and secondly buy the right size regardless of the number.” So what if you end up buying a size 6 instead of a 4 and it really does bother you? “You can always cut out the label at home, and you’ll pretty soon forget whatever that number was because you’ll be too busy admiring how fantastic you look.”

2.      You can make the t-shirt-and-jeans outfit look fabulous. And you’re allowed to wear sweatpants.

Photo credit: fabsugar.com

Despite what Blair Waldorf may say about t-shirts and jeans, Beckham says the classic ensemble can look effortlessly chic, if worn right. “I do like vintage rock ‘n’ roll t-shirts,” she says. “Wear them with good jeans and heels and you look cool, casual and show you have a sense of humor, which is always attractive.” So what about those hoodies and track pants every collegiette™ sports once- or twice- or three times during finals week? “One outfit people often ask me about is the tracksuit, and my response is always the same: for non-photographic occasions only,” says Beckham, who once again shows us that she may very well be treated like royalty, but she’s also a busy mom of four. “They’re great for slobbing around the house in on Sunday mornings and for long-haul flights.”

3.      First date rule: spend a lot of time looking like you pulled it together in five minutes.

Photo credit: andrewmorel.com

Looking fabulous for a date doesn’t mean you have to make it so obvious that you’re jumping through some major hoops to impress your date. “The perfect date dress is one that gives a hint of sexiness- but just a hint- and shows off the best of your body shape, but is also comfortable so you don’t spend the whole evening fidgeting with it and you can concentrate on being sparkly, witty and fabulous,” says Beckham. The key is to make your outfit simple, pretty and flattering without looking like you thought much about it, when, in reality, you’ve given it quite a few dress rehearsals. How do you balance sexy and classy? “Be mindful of the rule that if you get your boobs out, put your legs away and vice-versa. You will look better and feel more confident and comfortable, which will then really come across in your whole attitude.”

4.      The perfect red carpet pose

Photo credit: zimbio.com

If you’ve seen snapshots of Beckham either attending a black tie event in a Roberto Cavalli gown or a charity gala in a vintage wrapdress, you probably noticed her signature pose that makes you wonder how and why she looks so confident and composed all the time. The truth is, though, even after years of experience, Beckham says she still gets a little uneasy getting hundreds of pictures taken at an event. “A lot of people often get nervous about posing for snapshots at parties, and who can blame them? I still feel nervous when I’m walking down the red carpet and I see all the cameras pointing at me.” Turns out Beckham always remembers the ultimate posing trick Elizabeth Hurley once told her: stand with one leg sticking out- then pout your lips and exhale.

5.      Dress for yourself

Photo credit: eil.com

Beckham ends her book with a message that fashion is all about looking like you. It’s something every woman can learn from, especially on those days when all we want to do is fit in. If there’s one secret to looking like you have it all, no matter how many times it’s been said, Victoria Beckham reiterates that it really is about confidence.

“If there’s one thing I hope you take away from this book, it’s that fashion is brilliant, brilliant fun, and the knowledge that something’s working for you will have you walking on air every time you leave the house… Listen to your inner voice, not to the comments other people might make. No one knows better than you what makes you feel good about yourself and look fantastic. So take a deep breath, keep your head up and just walk down that catwalk.”