5 of the Best Romantic Comedies on Netflix Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Movies on Netflix come and go – sometimes there are countless great options, and other times it’s a deserted wasteland of films you would never want to watch. Currently, Netflix has stocked its digital shelves with an impressive selection of romantic comedies (my favorite movies by far). So before they disappear into the abyss and are never available again, take a chance on a few of my favorite options that are ready for streaming.

1. Definitely, Maybe

I am a major Ryan Reynolds fan, so I was truly shocked when I was browsing through Netflix over winter break and realized I had yet to see this movie. When I finally watched it, I was blown away – not only does the adorable Abigail Breslin play a star role, but there are multiple romantic plotlines woven together. There is even an element of mystery, which is always a bonus. If you are going to watch any of my suggestions, this is by far the one I recommend the most.

2. Love Actually

Chances are that you’ve already seen Love Actually. You’ve probably watched it multiple times, in fact, especially around the holiday season. But either way, there’s no shame in cozying up with some popcorn and this beloved rom-com because, let’s face it – there’s nothing that makes you feel better than watching a heartwarming film like Love Actually (especially when Hugh Grant is part of the cast).  

3. Begin Again

Begin Again is one of the least popular choices on this list, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth your time. The romantic plotline in this movie is far from cliche, and the nuances are what make it so unique and inspiring. Plus, the original music works as an incredible Spotify playlist once you’ve finished the movie.

4. 13 Going on 30

I’d be lying if I didn’t tell you that this movie defined my childhood. Weirdly enough, it was my Thanksgiving tradition for many years to watch this film while my dad and brother were consumed by football. To this day, I still can’t help but feel overly happy at the sweet and endearing love between Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo.

5. Hitch

Hitch is another classic film that you have to see at some point in your life. Not only am I a huge fan of any movie with Will Smith and Eva Mendes, but I’m also a sucker for anything that has a journalist (even if it’s a “gossip columnist”) as a lead. Highly recommend this iconic feel-good film.

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.