body images 2019 02 14 valentinesjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2019 02 14 valentinesjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 5 Best Movies to Watch this Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Valentine’s Day: a day that exceeds expectations for some, and is a slap-in-the-face for others.  Whether you spend the day surrounded by love, chocolates and roses, grateful for your Galentine’s, or busy counting down until the day is over, there’s a movie for you. Grab some popcorn, a cozy blanket and pick from one of my favorite Valentine’s Day movies, based on your mood. 

“Valentine’s Day”

Like, duh. This Valentine’s Day classic chronicles the ups and downs of the day for a group of intertwined individuals. Some spend the day full of love and lust, while others are left heartbroken and confused. Whether you’re a hopeless romantic or an anti-Valentine’s kind-of person, this feel-good movie is perfect for those wanting to laugh and enjoy the day. 

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video, $2.99

Your V-day mood: Happy 

“Easy A”

While it isn’t exactly a romantic movie, “Easy A” may be the best Valentine’s Day movie for those who really don’t care about the holiday. You can watch with friends, a significant other or alone, while you enjoy the clever humor and star-studded cast. 

Where to watch: Netflix, free

Your V-day mood: Indifferent

“Bridesmaids”

“Bridesmaids” is a go-to Galentine’s Day movie, in my opinion. First off, it’s hilarious. Second, it shows you how valuable friendship is, no matter what is happening in your life. Kristin Wiig and Maya Rudolph will have you laughing so hard — and you’ll remember that all you need is your galentine’s this year. 

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video, $3.99

Your V-day mood: Content

“The Notebook”

As we all know, “The Notebook” is essential for nights when you’re craving a good cry (which, for many, would be perfect for Valentine’s Day). Grab some popcorn and a bottle of wine, and let yourself feel all the feels while you watch Noah and Allie’s love story unfold. 

Where to watch: HBO Max, free

Your V-day mood: Unwell

“500 Days of Summer”

“500 Days of Summer” instantly became one of my favorites after watching it. This movie is perfect for those who spend Valentine’s Day questioning every relationship — or flirtationship — they’ve had, wondering why it didn’t work out and why they’re now spending the day alone. Tom’s relationship with Summer may leave you with thought-provoking insights after this movie that could answer your questions. 

Where to watch: Amazon Prime Video, free

Your V-day mood: Hopeful, confused

Sit back, relax and enjoy your Valentine’s Day. 

Sara Frank

Northwestern '23

Sara Frank is a sophomore from Houston, TX, studying journalism, psychology and integrated marketing communications at Northwestern University. Her favorite things include her three dogs, sushi and all-things pop culture.