3 Easy Recipes to Keep You Warm this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Winter is here! It’s a wonderful time – snow, holidays, warm beverages for days. Here are a few recipes to keep you toasty and get you in that winter wonderland mood.

1. Hot chocolate

This one is a classic, but I’m going to let you in on a secret: you can make it yourself, and not from a little packet! Homemade hot chocolate is a highly underrated thing and surprise, it’s so easy to make. All you need is cocoa powder, sugar, milk, and vanilla (and some marshmallows) and the recipe is printed right on the box of cocoa powder from the store. With a saucepan and a few minutes, you’ll have the warmest, chocolatiest drink of your life!

2. Macaroni and cheese

Another classic comfort food is everyone’s favorite cheesy pasta. Mac and cheese is so easy to make at home – just make a roux (equal parts butter and flour on medium heat, about 2 tbsp of each) add cream or milk, 2-3 cups, and a ton of your favorite cheeses. Add cooked pasta, and if you’re feeling extra fancy, pour breadcrumbs on top and bake for 15 minutes! 

3. Soup

Soup is secretly one of the easiest things on the planet to make. All you need is a base (water, chicken broth, or vegetable broth), some fillings (chicken, veggies, beans, noodles), and seasonings (salt, pepper, cayenne – feel free to get creative here). If you want your soup to be creamy, just add some milk, cream, and/or cheese! 

Stay warm, and happy cooking!

Katrina Hicks

Northwestern '19

.