1920’s Fashion for the Modern Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

The 1920’s was all about bold, glitzy glamour. Think Coco Chanel with lots of pearls and sparkle, while still being, like Chanel has always been, classy. Here are some outfits ideas inspired by some of our favorite iconic 20’s fashion trends.

1.      Layer the pearls

For a fail-proof glamorous look that can work for any occasion, look for a shimmering tank top that fits your personality. Even if you’re not big on shimmer, you can find something that’s more understated and feminine with just a hint of glimmer that will add the 20’s edge. The neckline is also something you can moderate. A cool cowl neck can give you a sophisticated look while a high boat neck can add class. Then, throw on as many layers of pearl necklaces as you’d like. The more pearls, the more 20’s it is, but if you like something more delicate, a simple pearl choker will also do the trick. Now pair this outfit with a pair of white shorts or your favorite skinny jeans and you’ve instantly got a retro look that still looks chic on any modern girl.

From left to right: Top 1, Top 2, Top 3, Top 4

Necklace 1, Necklace 2, Necklace 3

2.      Rock a cloche

A cloche, the “it” hat in the 20’s, is the perfect way to add some retro edge to your outfit. You can be bold with the colors and use it as a statement piece, or keep it neutral and feminine. A cloche will give you a sophisticated look that never comes with a baseball cap. Think of a cloche as a more feminine version of a fedora. If you remember, Blair Waldorf wore lots of cloches with her more grown-up outfits in college, so learn from Queen B herself and try it out when you feel like changing things up a bit. The only rule: do not wear this with t-shirt and jeans. Wear it with a dainty, pretty little dress and your daytime 20’s look is complete.

From left to right: Hat 1, Hat 2, Hat 3, Hat 4

3.      Add some fascination

Kate Middleton made the fascinator chic again, and it’s a great option to add a 20’s touch at your next formal event. You can wear it to a dance, a wedding or a fancy reception party and you will receive lots of attention with this statement headpiece. If you’re brave enough, pull a Carrie Bradshaw and wear it to your next date with a special someone. He may not get it, but who cares?

From left to right: Headpiece 1, Headpiece 2, Headpiece 3, Headpiece 4

4.      Flapper all the way

Even if you’re not going to a 20’s themed party, the flapper dress will always be a chic way to stand out at your next big event. Something about the way your dress moves with your body will make everyone ooh and ah about how wonderfully glamorous you look. You can go all out and throw on pearls and a fascinator, but in 2013, less is more. Keep it simple and make the dress the centerpiece. Wide-length straps were more in back in the 20’s, but for today, a flapper dress with spaghetti straps is more modern and very Versace.

From left to right: Dress 1, Dress 2, Dress 3, Dress 4, Dress 5