10 Powerful Female Television Personalities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Women on the small screen have entered a new era. Gone are the boy-crazed best friends, the ditz, and the smart sidekick. Instead, lead female television characters have emerged who are inspiring, loving, sassy, and determined. Below is a list of my favorite and some of the most influential female personalities on television.

10. Hanna Marin

Okay, so the characters on “Pretty Little Liars” do not always make the best decisions, and I might be 85 before A is revealed. But in Season Five, Ashley Benson’s character, Hanna Marin, has finally developed a backbone. While she still delivers her “punny” one-liners for comic relief, Hanna has shown that she is able to stand up for herself. She makes her own decisions and is not afraid to call out people for their mistakes.

9. Regina Mills/Evil Queen

Lana Parrilla’s portrayal of Regina and the Evil Queen on “Once Upon A Time” makes the character the perfect example of a villain that you love to hate. Regina might not be well-liked by other fairytale characters on the show, but that does not stop her from doing what she thinks is right. What makes Regina so loveable is her love for her son, Henry. Every decision she makes is to help Henry, and if those decisions make her the villain…so be it.

8. Agent Carter

Marvel’s recent attempt to transition from the big screen to television is proving to be a success. Peggy, or Agent Carter, is not technically a super hero (she does not have any superpowers) but that does not stop her from being as good as one. In this show, she is not some sidekick or love interest that a male character needs to protect. She is her own protector and is able to overpower her enemies using her wit and expertise. The character is a perfect example of why more programs should be made that focus on a female hero as the lead.

7.  Max and Caroline

The next characters on the list are a package deal. Max and Caroline from the comedy show “2 Broke Girls” did not start off liking each other, but over time they have built an unbreakable friendship. What makes the characters so appealing is that their dialogue is authentic. Nothing is edited to be “lady-like,” and their banter is simultaneously hilarious and honest. Both women also showcase the hard work it takes to make their business a reality.

6. Christina Aguilera

Okay, I know Christina Aguilera is not a character, but she sure has a whole lot of personality. Aguilera is dominant force on “The Voice” and is able to battle with the male coaches on the singing competition show. As the only female (why singing competition shows always have less women than men I do not understand), Aguilera shows she has a rightful place on the show and as a reigning musical diva through her connections with her team members. She is a diva, and she owns and deserves that title.

5. Fiona Goode

While Season Three of “American Horror Story” was arguably not the best season, Jessica Lange’s depiction of superior witch Fiona Goode kept me tuning in every week. Fiona Goode was an intimidating and clever woman who was brutally honest to everyone she met. She was shameless and ruthless, and made viewers love and hate her at the same time. Jessica Lange’s character was a fighter and her sassy remarks made it hard to view her as the antagonist.

4. Dr. Mindy Lahiri

Besides her hilarious remarks and charm, Mindy Lahiri is a beloved character on “The Mindy Project” because she is simply a likable and successful woman. Mindy is the only female doctor at her practice and is highly educated. What makes the character and the show even more fantastic is the fact that the actress who plays Lahiri, Mindy Kaling, is the creator, writer, star, and executive producer of the comedy.

3. Jane Villanueva

The buzz surrounding the new show “Jane the Virgin” escalated when Gina Rodriguez won a Golden Globe for her portrayal of Jane Villanueva. The award was rightly deserved because Jane Villanueva is a heartfelt, moral, funny, and intelligent character. Unlike some programs that write women as sex-crazed animals, Jane is a virgin (in case you didn’t guess that from the title) who has decided to remain a virgin until marriage because of a promise she made to herself and her grandmother. The fact that Jane is not embarrassed by her faith or her morals and is determined to adhere to them makes the character inspirational and lovable.

2. Olivia Pope

How could I make a list about powerful female personalities and not include Olivia Pope from “Scandal”? Kerry Washington has created a character that has taken over television. “We need Olivia Pope,” is a line that I have heard people actually state in times of crisis. Olivia Pope is the ultimate problem solver, and does so while looking and acting unbelievably fierce. Hand her a glass of red wine and she can do anything.

1. Cookie Lyon

“Empire” is a brand new show that is making headlines for its incredible cast, writing, and music. One actress who leads this cast is the talented Taraji P. Henson, who delivers an attention-grabbing portrayal of the character Cookie Lyon week after week. Cookie is a force not to be messed with. She fights for her family and the company she created. She is confident and cunning and everyone around her knows it.

**Images from http://giphy.com/ and http://img2.tvtome.com/i/u/0fe2afe835044a25ca707932faef886b.gif

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.