Maria Scheller-Girl Horse Riding Hiking Bryce National Park Utah Adventure Camping Active
Maria Scheller / Her Campus

What to Know Before Hiking in the Grand Canyon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

This past weekend I had the amazing opportunity to not only camp at one of the Grand Canyon National Park’s campgrounds, but to also hike a trail in the canyon. Being able to completely immerse myself in the national park was an incredible experience. While this trip was my second time visiting the Grand Canyon, it was the first time I’ve ever trekked below the canyon’s rim. Along with a group of friends, I hiked Bright Angel Trail, one of the park’s most popular trails. This hike is accompanied by marvelous views of the canyon and unique perspectives of the landscape that can only be seen by those who choose to venture below the rim.

Bright Angel Trail is one of the most frequently hiked upon trails in the canyon and has numerous destinations throughout the path. These destinations can range from a short hike, a few hours trek, or an entire day trip. The First Tunnel is the first destination on the trail, which is around 0.1 miles and is about twenty minutes roundtrip. Another destination further down the trail is Indian Garden, which is about 9 miles and takes approximately six to nine hours to hike roundtrip. My group of friends and I hiked to the Second Tunnel, which is about 1.8 miles long and took us around two hours to hike down and back up to the top. In my opinion, if you’re interested in hiking the Grand Canyon, Bright Angel Trail makes for a great first adventure into the canyon and is perfect for any distance you want to travel.

Before you decide to make a trip to hike the canyon, be sure to do some research on the trail you’re interested in hiking. Different trails in the park have varying levels of difficulty. Whether you’re looking for an easier hike or a more challenging one, check out the National Park Service’s website to see which trails in the Grand Canyon are best suited for the adventure you want to embark on. The website AllTrails is another helpful source when looking for information about different paths. The site offers details about the difficulty level, length, and directions to the trail.

After you’ve chosen the trail you want to hike, there are a few important things to consider when it comes to hiking etiquette. While some might seem more obvious than others, these are some of the essential points to take into account.

1. Know Who Has the Right of Way

Hikers who are ascending the trail have the right of way. Individuals who are hiking down the trail are expected to allow the uphill hikers more space. 

2. Do Not Disturb Wildlife

Another point to keep in mind is to not disturb any of the wildlife on the trail. While I was hiking, my group and I encountered a squirrel on the hike and we remained at a safe distance from the animal. According to the U.S. Department of the Interior, the rock squirrel is considered the most dangerous animal in the Grand Canyon National Park. It carries a multitude of diseases and often bites visitors who attempt to feed them. Stay clear of wildlife and let them move about nature naturally before moving forward on your hike.

3. Always Be Aware of Your Surroundings

Finally, it’s important to always be aware of your surroundings on the trail and be careful when coming up on the edges of the path. Trails in the canyon can be particularly rocky. It’s crucial that hikers are aware of where they are on the trail, where other individuals are, and what is laying ahead in their path.

At the end of the day, hiking in the Grand Canyon is an extraordinary experience and makes for a fun and exciting time when proper preparation is done beforehand. Above all else, make sure you are well hydrated and fueled before embarking on these exciting adventures.

Destiny Kelln

Northern Arizona '24

Hey everyone! I'm Destiny and I am currently a sophomore at Northern Arizona University. I'm double majoring in criminology/criminal justice and psychological sciences. I love listening to music and consider myself a pro in creating the perfect Spotify playlist for any occasion. New Girl is my go to comfort show and I'll never turn down a chocolate croissant and an iced coffee!