Model Horse
Model Horse
Tianna Williams

Top 5 Hobbies to Revamp Your Creativity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

#1: Yarn Work

Yarn work can be anything involving….well, yarn. This can include knitting and crocheting. I personally enjoy crocheting the most as it is more versatile than knitting. Besides, you only need one crochet hook for a piece, and you can make rounded items without needing multiple or specialized needles. Crochet can make all sort of things such as: hats, scarves, blankets, sweaters, dresses, and even whole bottom + top outfits.

Yarn work is great for a mental workout. When crocheting or knitting, there are certain patterns and stitches that you need to memorize in order to work speedily on a project. Yarn-oriented crafts work out your hand-eye coordination and focus in order to complete a larger project.

The downside of yarn crafting is that it is easy to fall into a rhythm and end up working on a piece for hours at a time. This normally ends up hurting your wrists in fingers, which in turn causes an inability to work on the project for a short time after.

If you are not turned away by the probability of hyper-fixation, then a good way to start your yarn journey is to go to Michael’s, or any store which sells yarn-craft tools, and get a pack of multi-sized crochet hooks or knitting needles, along with yarn of any color. If you are finding that multiple skeins (balls of yarn) are leaning toward the more expensive side, Red Heart and Lion Brand are great price-conscious options that also come in bulk-sized skeins. Dollar stores which sell craft items are another inexpensive way to start crafting, if you are wary of spending too much money on a new project.

#2: Creative writing

If you’re looking for a break from a more academic-based schedule, then taking a creative writing course may be just what you need. Most of the time, your in-class readings and assignments are fiction, creative non-fiction, poetry, or podcasts. Not only will a course in creative writing give you the skills to write creatively, but it would also improve the communication skills necessary for academic writing.

Don’t feel like taking another class? Don’t worry! Just grab a notebook or some loose leaf paper and get to work. Anyone can write, especially now with the surplus of writing supplies and websites that we have available. Sometimes you just need a little fanfiction in your life. Or rather, fiction in general. Think of a story you would want to read about, a setting, a character, anything. Plan out your beginning, middle, and end in a loose outline, then start filling in the details. Now, if you’re not that much of a planner, you can just start writing whatever comes to mind. This works best with poetry, because word association helps ideas flow naturally and you can always re-arrange your thoughts later. If you are brave enough to dive into the bottomless pit that is scanning fanfiction at 3 am, you can find a story you enjoy and try writing your own based around that particular author’s style or ideas. Writing style is much like art style, everyone’s writing is uniquely theirs, you just have search and practice to find the style that best suits you and your personality.

Archive of Our Own, Wattpad, FanFic.net, and Tumblr are great websites to read multiple fanfics, and start building your creative writing style.

#3: Reading

Yeah…this idea might sound a little…stupid with all the reading you do as a college student. However, escaping through a well-written or engaging book is a great way to wind down and leave the real world for a moment or two. If you have a lighter schedule that allows for heavy reading, a book can be rather relaxing. Finding a genre is easy, all you need to do it think of your favorite genre of movie and find it in book form! I prefer murder mysteries, hence my major in criminology. Find a book, either at your local library or bookstore, then find a relaxing spot to read.

Another cool way to get more involved with reading is by joining a book club. Book clubs build community by helping you make friends, and debate your likes and dislikes of a book in a respectful manner. Not to mention after college, although you’ll still have work to do, you are able to continue reading and finding new favorite authors.

I’m not one for fantasy or romance genres, but some great crime writers that I can recommend are: J.A. Jance, Nelson Demille, James Patterson, and, for a more classic approach to a mystery, Agatha Christie.

My favorite book from this genre is Night Fall by Nelson Demille, I highly recommend it if you’re into the crime genre!

#4 Art

A relatively blanket term. I am more of a drawer, particularly in graphite and charcoal (currently learning digital), but art is a great way to relax after a stressful day of classes. Art classes are great, however their deadlines can become stressful and your grades may suffer if you can’t get things in on time. Off campus art classes may work better, as you have until whenever your next class, normally in a week and can be fun

But sometimes, just teaching yourself through the internet and by trial and error can be just as fun. Getting a sketch pad and any pencil is a great start. Heck, you can even just get lined paper and doodle on it (even during class, although your supposed to pay attention) draw something you like, something abstract, something of meaning, or something random.

There are many mediums and styles out there. You can use colored pencil, crayons, oil pastels, chalk pastels, acrylic paint, oil paint, airbrush, marker, ceramics, sculpture, and even photography.

Take a ceramics class if you want, learn to sculpt, join an art club, it can be a welcomed relief from a day of writing and working your brain on difficult topics

#5 Model Horse Collecting

This is a rather unique hobby in the sense that no one else really does it. I happen to collect, and it’s a lot of fun. Horses come in many sizes and many price ranges, so starting a small collection in your dorm room can be fun and easy. The model horse community is predominately women, but very welcoming as we don’t judge on people, we judge on horses…in shows and shows only.

There are so many things you can do there as well. You can paint your own and even sculpt your own. You can also, as mentioned before, can show them, putting them against other horses from other collectors and see if you can win a blue ribbon, or even, the championship. Normally there is a fee to pay, but it’s a one time fee with a buy-in if you exceed the amount of horses in one particular class, but other than that it’s a fun day of showing, chatting, networking, and making new friends.

Breyer Model horses are a great place to start. Check them out at Breyerhorses.com!

Finding a hobby can make school a little easier, as finding something to take your mind off the stresses of the day, and can give your mind a break. Give some of these a try!

Tianna Williams

Northern Arizona '22

I am a senior criminology major, double minoring in Japanese and Music. I love to read, write, draw, knit and crochet. I also love playing RDO and Kingdom Hearts. I have a German Shepard named Callie, and I hope that I can become and International Lawyer after a graduate from Law School