This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

Some people have it together and know exactly what they want to do with their life. Some of us, however, have no idea what exactly we want to do – which is perfectly fine. Every journey is different so if you are like me and don’t have it all mapped out, know you are not alone. 

For a while, I thought I knew what I wanted to do but nothing ever stuck and I had to learn that it was okay for my mind to change and that I had time to figure it out. This was in high school; and my mind was all over the place with a career path. I went to a college-prep charter school so I was feeling this constant pressure to have a perfectly laid out plan. 

I thought I had to go straight to a university and have my major picked out and simply have it figured out. That wasn’t true but that is exactly how I felt about it. I ended up going to community college and taking general courses and then bam! I thought nursing was it for me. Spoiler Alert! It wasn’t. I thought that perhaps I wanted to study English. Now, I am not saying that nursing isn’t a good job, it just wasn’t for me. I found it to be too challenging and I hated the biology class I was in which would determine if nursing was the right fit.  

My best subject in school was always English, and I am convinced it’s a generational thing. I fell out of the writing game for a while and didn’t write but it slowly is coming back to me. Some of you might find this strange but I don’t mind writing essays, I actually kind of like it a lot. I will always be thankful that I was led to this point in time because I like what I do and study. It will take some trial and error before I find what I want to do in the outside world but it will come to me.

Now, I am not here to hate on anyone who knows exactly what they want. I am here to remind everyone that it’s okay to be on the path of figuring out what you like or might want to do. If you have always had a plan, I am so happy for you and for what you are going to accomplish. I am also happy for you if you just decided what the right fit would be or even if you are still figuring it out. Please, do not let anyone bring you down if they ridicule you for not knowing everything.

I will always be thankful that I tried out majoring in nursing because it led me to where I am now. I have my associate in English Literature and am working on my Bachelor’s. It all works out in the end even if it takes longer for someone else. In the wise words of Hannah Montana, “life’s what you make it so let’s make it rock!”

Connor Carden

Northern Arizona '23

Junior at NAU. English Major. Writer & Helper.