This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

Have you ever wondered how the Met Gala came to be? Well, I’ve got you covered. To start, the Met Gala supports and raises funds for the Metropolitan’s Costume Institute. Celebrities attend every year with a set theme as a way for costume designers to gain inspiration. This event was founded in 1948 by Eleanor lambert and was called the “midnight supper.” The Met Gala is usually on the first Monday in May, but due to Covid-19, this year, it was on September 13, 2021. As a fun fact, the Met Gala did not have any themes until Diana Vreeland’s arrival as a special consultant to the Costume Institute. It has become one of the most successful and visible fundraisers, thanks to Anna Wintour. This year’s theme was “In America: A Lexicon of Fashion”. Anna Wintour became chairperson in 1999 and “brought the power and resources of Vogue to the Gala”(architectural digest.com). Over its 80-year run, the guest list has become more extravagant and began to embrace celebrities and pop culture. The decor has also become more elaborate with trying to outdo the previous year’s theme. Everything about the decor used in the Met Gala reflects the theme of the night including the chairs and plates. As the guests walk on the red carpet, they are not only making an extravagant entrance but are putting on a show. Now, let’s take a look at some iconic moments from the Met Gala over its 80-year period. 

a64b2cc1 d932 476f bd3e 33be65f9b528 gettyimages 542652820

First, we have Princess Diana at the Met Gala in 1996 which was her first and only appearance. She is seen wearing a floor-length navy silk slip. The Princess of Wales was honoring Christian Dior 3 months after her divorce from Prince Charles. She is seen wearing a sapphire choker necklace, sapphire engagement ring, and sapphire drop earrings. This look is accessorized with a Dior bag. Unfortunately, this was her only year of attending due to her death the next year in 1997. 

AG hEogCmXnnoACFKOyvzlXInbGNHgzmBJG5OsjgZo WkZEQYlhGrA26pl4TTfBAdbr4guqCBUa3J7jrQexaYZ bBtv4AbzvOV0Og3f91evMe1I902Pk0 2QdFYZt5X80SRdS7=s0

Next, we have Cher with her naked dress in 1974. This was an original Bob Mackie design. Cher is seen attending the event with her best friend Paulette Betts wearing a one-shoulder black and white dress. The theme for the 1974 event was “Romantic and Glamorous Hollywood Design”. This is one of the many infamous looks in Met Gala history. This Cher gown became quite memorable to those attending the event.
nxRKZfLRtORv06Pdv1XYinWiY2GyDBhKnMhoHijLfNcv6WFiK0YS25pB rBlas7SAhsuB0RBIivOK5INdITFCIk b

Here, we have Bella Hadid wearing a body-hugging catsuit in 2017. The theme during 2017 was “Comme de Garçon’s Rei Kawakubo”. She was seen being sewn into the catsuit before the event started to make sure every detail was not missed including the scoop at the back and the beading. This outfit was designed by Bella’s longtime friend, Alexander Wang. 

bfc lbrTkvtPWRUZNfR1mfUnw6VQBqPxVyXlZvpS4kMWAcPuUdFwd3Z995aXaMsPn0Jw76wWWGXRk0r3ZsNdPj2YqkeDQHbdylGvCUCsvuGI6nPXzRcMOwlc3AwMyIFJqr E5Rbq=s0

Harry Styles took on a new idea at the Met Gala back in 2019 in a sheer blouse top and black trousers. The ensemble was created by Alessandro Michele who is a designer for the Gucci Brand. This look was all about freeing the nipple. He paired this outfit with a chunky men’s heel which he has worn before. The theme for the 2019 met gala was “Camp: Notes on Fashion”. 

gigi hadid zayn malik

Finally, we have Gigi Hadid and Zayn Malik at the 2016 Met Gala which was their first red carpet as a couple. The theme was “Manus x Machina: Fashion in an Age of Technology.” Gigi is seen wearing a floor-length gown from Tommy Hilfiger with a metallic bodice. Zayn is seen wearing a classic tuxedo with armor instead of typical sleeves.

Connor Carden

Northern Arizona '23

Junior at NAU. English Major. Writer & Helper.