This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

Finding the time and money to have fun in college doesn’t have to be a struggle, especially when it comes to spending time with your significant other. If you’re trying to save money but still want to have fun in your free time, there are many different, inexpensive ways to hang out with your partner. I’ve gathered some of my favorite date ideas that are relatively easy to plan for and do not require a lot of spending! From staying local to venturing out, here are some cute dates to go on in the future.

Picnic Date

The classic picnic in a park is a great way to spend a cozy afternoon with your significant other! For this date, all you need to do is pack your favorite meals or snacks, a picnic blanket, and find a park or an open space outdoors where you can set up. Keep in mind, picnics don’t have to be limited to a park! Research your area and find a space that is accessible and accommodating for the picnic you have planned. If you live near the coast, the beach is another wonderful picnic spot! Besides food and drinks, a picnic costs relatively little and allows for some quality time to be spent with your partner!

Board Game Night

Gather up all the board games you already have or purchase a few from the store and have a game night together! Stores like Walmart and Target, for instance, have a great selection of affordable board games. If you don’t already have some and aren’t interested in heading to the store, a simple deck of cards can be used to play a variety of different games as well.

Swimming/tanning date

Whether it’s a local pool, a nearby lake, or the ocean, going swimming or tanning together is a wonderful way to unwind and relax while getting some refreshing vitamin D. A few necessities for this date include some beach towels or a blanket suited for the outdoors, some sunscreen, and lots of water. Remember to hydrate while you’re tanning or swimming!

Volunteer/Visit an animal shelter

Visiting your local animal shelter is a great chance to play with some adorable furry friends and to spend time with your significant other. Volunteering together is also a great way to give back to the community while having tons of fun! Signing up to volunteer may require you to pay a registration or orientation fee at most shelters. However, this fee is usually very low, it’s typically a one time cost, and is certainly worthwhile when you’re supporting the animals at your local shelter.

Museum Date

Visit a museum or a local art gallery together! With so many unique pieces of art on display, a museum date would provide for endless conversation between you and your partner as you take an intimate, peaceful stroll together. Art museums and galleries are often very affordable and most are free to the public. However, some may require an entrance fee, so make sure to do some research beforehand just to be safe!

Destiny Kelln

Northern Arizona '24

Hey everyone! I'm Destiny and I am currently a sophomore at Northern Arizona University. I'm double majoring in criminology/criminal justice and psychological sciences. I love listening to music and consider myself a pro in creating the perfect Spotify playlist for any occasion. New Girl is my go to comfort show and I'll never turn down a chocolate croissant and an iced coffee!