This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northern Arizona chapter.

Finals are a time of stress and sometimes panic. Life can be hard sometimes, and learning to believe in yourself more and knowing you have so much power is one of the most important things for getting through tough times. I’m still learning all of these, especially trusting myself. Many of us have insecurities, even if we don’t want to admit them. Taking your time and learning more about yourself is so beneficial.

Be kind to yourself and your emotions. Finals are stressful but remember to take some time for yourself even if it’s just taking a deep breath and drinking some water. Self-care is essential, especially during finals time. Self-care can be as simple as going on a walk or spending time with friends. College can be exhausting and takes a lot out of us, but we can get through it. 

Watching one of my favorite shows or starting a new show is one of the ways I like to relax and give myself a break from homework or everyday life. I know this can be an excellent way to relax, but you have to make sure you still have ample time to get your work done. Giving myself a break allows me to let go for a while and become less stressed over everyday things. I know this will sound basic, but I also like to scroll through TikTok or be on social media for a little while. 

Everyone has their ways of dealing with stress and college, and it doesn’t look the same for everyone. Emotions are emotions and deserve to be validated, so let it out if you have to cry. When I was having a hard time riddled with anxiety, I sat in the shower just for a minute, and it weirdly made me feel better. I will also have a show on just as background noise or put on a podcast and finish what I need to get done. Taking breaks has to be on your terms and not someone else’s, so you can always try something else if a particular method doesn’t work. You shouldn’t let someone else tell you when or how to take time for yourself. If you’re the type of person that needs to have a set schedule, then that’s how your brain works, and you should follow that regime. If you’re someone who prefers to go with the flow, then that is also perfectly fine.

Lastly, I want to share a quote with you that I got from an affirmation app today; “Growth is sometimes uncomfortable, yet I have the strength to do it.”. You are powerful and deserve self-love and care.

Connor Carden

Northern Arizona '23

Junior at NAU. English Major. Writer & Helper.