Women’s March: Described Through Posters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

On January 21, millions of women and men gathered in cities across the U.S. and abroad to take part in the Women’s March, a peaceful protest for “the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families – recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country” (womensmarch.com).

I was among the half a million people attending the march on Washington D.C. It was incredible to be surrounded by so many individuals who gathered from all over to make a statement with their presence and voice. Amid a sea of people, it was inspiring to look up at all of the posters held high with the countless reasons for why people came to march.

Here are just a few of the very many creative, inspiring, and powerful signs that were carried through the streets of D.C.

Sign Reads: Feminism, teaching girls to be somebodies instead of somebody’s

Sign Reads: We are all in this Together

Sign Reads: Super Callous Fragile Racist Extra Brag a docious

Sign Reads: The Whole World is Re(wa)tching!!

Signs present: (1) Fight Like a Girl (2) Diversity is what makes America Great! (3) Sorry for the inconvenience, we are trying to change the world

Sign Reads: Our Bodies, Our Minds, Our Power

The Statue of Liberty holding a tampon

Sign Reads: We are immigrants. We are our mother’s revolution. We are the Future!

Sign Reads: Orange is Not the New Black

Sign Reads: The Future is Still Female

Sign Reads: We the People Protect Each Other Photo courtesy of Diane Jentilet

Sign Reads: Affordable Healthcare, Justice Reform, Save our Planet, Smash the Patriarchy (spelling out Love) Photo courtesy of Diane Jentilet

Poster with Names of Influential Historical and Present Women Photo courtesy of Diane Jentilet

Signs Read: (1) Smashing the Patriarchy is my Cardio (2) The Revolution will be Intersectional Photo courtesy of Liz Hood

Sign Reads: Nasty Women Unite

Sign Reads: Free Hugs

I found this last photo to be particularly heartwarming. In a time where our country is divided and many people are feeling scared, spreading just a little bit of positivity can make a difference.