Why the Female Characters on Scandal are the Ultimate Role Models

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

ABC’s Scandal, Season Five of which premieres next Thursday (!), is one of those rare shows where every single moment is captivating. Just when you think the episode can’t get any crazier, it does. Scandal also features some of the most inspiring female role models on television today. The grace and confidence these characters show in truly odious situations is inspiring, and though the drama the women on Scandal grapple with on a daily basis is much more extreme than the life of the average collegiette, there’s still plenty of lessons to be learned from Olivia, Mellie, Abby and Quinn. What is it that makes these women so inspiring? Here are a few of the numerous reasons.

They know what they’re doing.

Olivia Pope exudes confidence, and as a result, those who surround her respect her. That’s basically the dream for any college student struggling with classes, extracurriculars and social activities who just wants to feel like she has everything figured out. Olivia has a pretty messy life, but at the end of the day, she always pulls it together. If she can handle it we can too, right?

They don’t back down.

It takes a lot for Mellie Grant to lose her cool and even more to deter her from what she wants. She’s one of the most motivated characters on the show, though the support she receives from those around her is constantly in flux. No matter how vicious her remarks may get, it’s impossible not to admire Mellie’s amazing capability to keep fighting back.

They’re not afraid to call others out.

Abby Whelan has faced intense hardship in her life, but the compassion she shows for her friends and colleagues is unmatched by anyone else on the show. That being said, she’s also the quickest to call out her fellow White House staff for discrepancy or dishonesty, an admirable trait for a character on a show that’s so often centered on deception.

They always look fabulous.

Whether she’s got on her white hat or not, Olivia looks amazing in every episode. Though it’s unrealistic to achieve such an impeccable look every day as a college student, the Scandal women’s sense of style is something we can all look up to.  

They’re not perfect.

Every character on Scandal is a multifaceted individual with a good side and bad side, which, rather than taking away from their value as role models, actually makes them even more inspirational. Often I find myself thinking a TV character is a little “too perfect,” but the characters on Scandal face a consistent struggle that they have to work hard to overcome. Not only is that process engaging to watch; it’s also a great motivator. So sit back, collegiettes, and tune in for your weekly inspirational fix in next week’s Season 5 premiere of Scandal.

Gwen Schanker

Northeastern

Morgan Weadock

Northeastern

Morgan is currently a third year at Northeastern University in Boston working towards a degree in Finance and a dual minor in Economics and Political Science. She is the co-president and Campus Correspondent for the Northeastern Her Campus Chapter and also involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and Streak Media. Morgan is originally from NJ and despite popular sentiment believes it to be the best state in the country. Her interests include cooking things that don't look as pretty as they did on Pinterest, reading while drinking tea, going to the beach, fitness and nutrition, and Netflix binging (: