Where To Have A Wicked Good Time In Boston This St. Patty’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Hey collegiettes! As spring break comes to a close, we unfortunately have to get back into the routine and hit the books. However, there is one thing that is sure to brighten up this week, and that’s St. Patrick’s Day! Let’s face it, is there a better place to celebrate this holiday rich in Irish culture than in the heart of Boston? Whether you’re 21+ or younger, there’s something for every college student to do this Sunday. For those of you looking to experience the shenanigan’s Boston has to offer this St. Patty’s Day, I’ve put together a list of three events in the area that are sure to get you in the Irish spirit. So dig up those green clothes, tacky shamrock sunglasses, and leftover green mardi-gras beads, and get ready for a night you’ll never forget (well, hopefully…).

1. What: St. Patrick’s Peace Parade
When: Sunday, March 17 at 2pm
Where: South Boston
        The St. Patrick’s Day Parade, also known as “Southie” to the locals, is an annual celebration through the city of Boston in an effort to bring people together. The parade is broken up into veteran, peace, religious, environmental, LGBT, labor, political, and many other groups. They will depart from West Broadway at the T station at 3pm, and parade throughout the streets, spending most of its time in Boston’s most Irish neighborhood, South Boston. This parade full of colorful floats, cheerful music (including bagpipes), and creative banners is a guaranteed good time for people of all ages. Come out and march along!

2. What: Dropkick Murphys Concert
When: Friday, March 15 at 7:30pm, or Sunday, March 17 at 6pm
Where: TD Garden (Friday) and House of Blues (Sunday)
        The Dropkick Murphys are a locally formed Celtic punk band that have made a name for themselves in the Boston area with their annual St. Patrick’s Day concert at the House of Blues. Due to increasing popularity, they have expanded their performance over the course of two days, providing ample opportunity to check out this local tradition. Tickets have been known to sell out quickly, so hurry and get yours before you miss out!

3. What: Irish Pubs
When: All week.
Where: All over Boston.
        If you’re over 21 and a parade doesn’t seem “hardcore” enough for you and concert sounds too claustrophobic, there’s always the bar scene. Aside from Ireland of course, Boston is home to some of the greatest Irish pubs in the world. And lucky for you, they can be found just about anywhere (besides Chinatown and the North End of course), and are looking to celebrate all week long. The Boston bar scene is already a good time, so imagine when live Irish music, green-dyed beer, people decked out in green, and lots of dancing is thrown into the mix. Some of the best Irish pubs in Boston that come to mind are the Black Rose and Kitty O’Shea’s near Faneuil Hall, the Kinsale near TD Garden, and of course, anywhere you stumble upon in South Boston.

Even if you’re not Irish, that’s okay. St. Patrick’s Day is a great excuse to let loose and celebrate with the people that surround you, because if there’s one thing I know from spending a lot of time in the Boston area, it’s that Bostonians go crazy for St. Patty’s Day. Cheers!

Jenna Decatur

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis

Northeastern

Melanie Dostis is a journalism major at Northeastern University. She has been involved with Her Campus since her sophomore year, being elected co-correspondent her junior year- a position she is thrilled to continue in her last year. She lives a writing-filled life and wouldn't have it any other way. She is currently interning at Boston Magazine and is a correspondent for the Boston Globe and USA Today. She can usually be found back in her home-roots of wonderful New York on weekends, exploring her second home in Boston, or often back in her family roots of Ecuador, gorging on massive amounts of Hispanic dishes....Follow her on Twitter @MelDostis. HCXO!