What to Read After “The Hunger Games” (aka When Your Life is Over)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Even though I’m still in the midst of “Catching Fire,” I’ve heard many complaints from avid fans of The Hunger Games:  “What am I supposed to do now?

Usually I’d say – “Don’t worry, the movie comes out soon!” But, that already happened (totally on team Gale, by the way.) So, what to do after you’ve finished? I promise there other great books out there too…and that life does go on.

If you want to read another series (or 2)

1. “A Game of Thrones”

Even though I haven’t read this series yet, it’s on my list. Most popularly known for the television series on HBO, this series depicts a kingdom fantasy world. There are seven books in the series, which is sure to keep you busy for a while.

1. “The Girl With the Dragon tattoo”

By Steig Larrson, this series has kept my roommate up in the wee hours of the morning, and talking about it again when she wakes up. Although the first book took me a while to get into, it’s well worth it in the end.

Beach reads

1. “A Summer Affair”  

When summer comes along I make a list of the books I want to read, but it always changes. A couple years ago, I picked this book up on a whim. This book is full of drama, romance, and scandal, but a perfect read for the beach or lying by the pool. It also takes place on the island of Nantucket, so it hits close to home! ;)

1. “The Little Lady Agency”

My friend Carla LOVES these types of reads. Similar to the likes of “Sex and the City” by Candace Bushnell, and the “Devil Wears Prada,” this book follows a woman who comes up with a unique business idea, to help bachelors find their way through social ties. Romance and humor seem to be ever present in this story, which is part of a series too!

Romance & Drama

1. “The Lucky One”

I’m guilty of having a huge crush on Zac Efron. Is THAT why I’m mentioning this book? Maybe. But, after seeing the previews for “The Lucky One” starring Mr. Efron himself, I decided to Google this book. I’m a big Sparks fan – whenever I pick up one of his novels, I quickly get sucked away and fall deep into the story without thinking of anything else. So, once you read this book, you can go see Zac on the big screen! WIN- WIN.

1. “Plain Truth” “The Pact” & “Nineteen Minutes”

I absolutely love Jodi Picoult’s writing. Every book I’ve read by her is an absolute page-turner, especially the three mentioned above. “Plain Truth” explores the life of an Amish family who is faced with their teenage daughter hiding her pregnancy. “The Pact” follows the trial of a young man who was killed with his high school sweetheart by his side. “Nineteen Minutes” tells the tale of a small town who is faced with a school shooting. The great thing about Picoult’s novels is that you never really know what’s about to happen.

Laugh your a$$ off

1. “Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang”

A friend lent me this novel a couple summers ago when I had just finished a more series book and was looking for something light-hearted. Thank goodness, because I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life. Chelsea’s series are just as outrageous as she is, and just plain entertaining. If you don’t like crude humor, steer away, but if you want to hear the story of how Chelsea convinced her boyfriend that he killed their friends’ dog by feeding it at a dinner party, and then hosting a faux funeral, go to Barnes and Noble NOW. (I’m awful, I know.)

1. “Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs”

I picked this book up only because of it’s title, but I’m glad I did. It turns out that it’s insightful, witty, and thought provoking; and it’s all about pop culture. Author Chuck Klosterman covers reality TV, celebrities and everything in between. It’s an easy distractingly good read, and you might gain an opinion or two!

If none of these aforementioned books strike your fancy, I guess you could go  back and read The Hunger Games series over and over. So, put the book down, walk away slowly and either take up knitting as a hobby, or start reading one of these books. DO IT!

I'm a 20 something journalism major at Northeastern University and Campus Correspondent for HerCampus NU. When I'm not writing, I'm working in public relations and am the PR and Promotions Director for WRBB Radio 104.9FM Northeastern's Radio Station and the Public Relations Director for my sorority.