What President Trump’s War on Birth Control Means

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Under the Obama administration, millions of women were able to access birth control without co-payments, because of the mandate on contraceptive coverage. Trump’s new regulations would erase all of that. Some Attorney Generals (in Massachusetts and California) filed lawsuits which argued those rules, saying that this new regulation violates First Amendment rights about the government instilling an establishment of religion into a policy. In other words, it supports the religious beliefs that birth control should not be used or easily accessible, and putting that into policy. This policy is not going to take away birth control outright. Instead, it will chip away at the group of people who use it—diminishing the group by making it harder and harder to pay for. It will also give employers the power to determine if employees get contraceptive coverage— something no one, but the person whose body it is, should be able to decide. It is a blatant and disgusting abuse of power. All they need to do is claim a religious or moral exemption from covering birth control.

Why is this a problem? Well, contraception can do a lot more than prevent pregnancy. Here’s a few:

-Endometriosis: You know how tissue grows inside the uterus (and is removed during your period)? Well with this painful condition, it also grows outside of it, on the bladder, ovaries, etc. This causes swelling, inflammation and even scarring. The pill can decrease the symptoms by causing less tissue buildup and growth.

-The pill can prevent you from losing too much blood.

-Some women’s bodies cannot regulate their period—the pill can regulate you to have a bearable, monthly period.

-The roller-coaster of menstrual hormones causes migraines and awful cramps for some women—the pill can regulate these hormones too!

So, how can you help, and what can you do?

-Support Planned Parenthood: The holidays are coming up— it’s a great time to donate.

-Stock up on Plan B: I’m serious. It has a long shelf life, and it is better to have it now and not need it, than need it in the future and not be able to afford it because your employer no longer covers your birth control.

-Get married: Ok, half joking, but birth control has been legal for married couples since 1965, thanks to Griswold v. Connecticut.

Courtesy of Giphy  

I am a student, artist, and photographer at Northeastern University. Aspiring beekeeper, honey consumer and succulent lover, I have over 40 plants (and counting) in my room currently--not that there's enough space for them.