This Week’s EMPOWERING Campus Celeb: Ariana Lefebvre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Name: Ariana Lefebvre

Year: senior

Major: supply chain management and marketing

Hometown: Lincoln, RI

Campus Involvement: Sigma Delta Tau, Supply Chain Management Club, Business School Peer Mentor, Order of Omega, NUTSO Mentor 

How did you get involved with Sigma Delta Tau? How long have you been a member of the Greek Community 

“I joined a sorority in my sophomore year as an attempt to get involved and find my place at Northeastern. Most transfers know how difficult it is to acclimate to a new school where everyone has already found their crew the previous year. I made three friends my first month at Northeastern. Three. Not kidding.

Somehow, I can’t even remember now, I ended up signing up for Panhellenic Recruitment and joining the cool, smart, witty, fun sisters of Sigma Delta Tau. I don’t know how they chose me or how I chose them. When I attended chapter for the first time I saw the girls I talked to during recruitment sitting at the front of the room and leading the meeting. Immediately I wanted to be them and it’s crazy that I now have the privilege now three years later.

I first got involved in a position called Health and Wellness. I brought tips to chapter every week, made girls take selfies at the gym, and created a Facebook page so girls could go to Marino together. Meanwhile I was holding positions in another club for my major called the Supply Chain Management Club. First I was the secretary and then I was President for three semesters. My involvement in the Supply Chain Club empowered me to take on Executive roles within SDT.

I have held three Executive Board positions: Vice President of Scholarship, Vice President, and now President. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to lead an amazing group of women and future leaders. I would not be able to accomplish anything without the help of my executive board and 130 supportive sisters.”

How did the idea of Empowerment Week come along? 

“Sigma Delta Tau on a national level has the slogan, “Empowering Women.” For us at Northeastern, this statement could not be more true. Our philanthropies as well as events on campus are always about empowering the campus and our sisters. Last year, our Past President Olivia Reevey had the idea to unite student leaders and host a panel on an ‘Empowerment Day.’ This year it evolved to an entire week of activities around campus to promote Empowerment. We had flags put up on the quad, handouts, and had a guest speaker, the founder of Nasty Gal.”

What was it like interviewing Sophia Amoruso, the founder of Nasty Gal? 

“Interviewing Sophia was an amazing opportunity! Besides all of the contracting and logistics to put the event together, it was a huge honor to be the one that got to be on stage talking to her! She was just a normal person which I was surprised by. If you have read her book #GIRLBOSS, you know that she is sassy and empowering which is why we wanted to bring her to campus. It was cool to talk to her before in the green room. She was so intrigued by the co-op process at Northeastern and by the time I finished explaining I thought she was going to enroll right then and there. She was also very into learning sorority terms and how we function on campus. She instagrammed us doing the ‘sorority squat’ with her.  She was really relaxed for someone that is so high profile and fashion forward.

The great thing about her is that she showed the audience how a normal person can do big things. She wasn’t an overpowering person with a big personality and a long keynote speech yelling things like “Do what YOU want to do” etc. She was being herself and answering the questions completely honestly which was refreshing. I think it showed my chapter that you don’t need to be the top of the class or the President of your sorority in order to be successful. You can define success however you want.”

What does empowerment mean to you? 

“Something that Sophia said has become my definition of empowerment. She said “empowerment is using your power for good.” I really love this definition. Just because someone has a title or a leadership role does not mean they should. A true empowered person uses any type of ‘power’ or influence that they have to help others and make positive change. Also you can find empowerment from various sources. My parents empower me to make my own decisions, my executive board empowers me to get the chapter excited about our events. These factors all come together and make you someone who is worth listening to.”

What is one thing you’ve learned from being a member of a sorority that will stay with you?

“Wow, this is a really tough question. I could write a novel on this! The one thing I have learned or realized is that at the end of the day I will always have hundreds of sisters. (This sounds so corny but since I am graduating in a couple of months I am allowed to reminisce.) I have made the most amazing lifelong friends that truly are my sisters. My little, my roommate, my confidants, my dance partners, my study partners, the list goes on. I know that at the end of the day, this has defined my college experience and has made me a better person. I am able to leave college with a little imprint on this amazing organization and that is so special and meaningful to me.”

Dana Dworkin

Northeastern

Hi girls! I'm Dana, I'm a CC at HC Northeastern, and I love to write about greek life, fashion, beauty, on-campus happenings, etc.
Emily Feltault

Northeastern

Hi my name is Emily Feltault and I am a rising sophomore at Northeastern University! I am one of the new Campus Correspondents for my chapter and am excited to get started!!