Wednesday Watch Party: A Recap of the “Riverdale” and “Dynasty” Premieres

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northeastern chapter.

Move over Shondaland Thursdays, because the CW is here to bring you all the drama this fall, making Wednesdays great again. Last night, not only did the much-awaited Season 2 premiere of Riverdale occur, but we were treated to back to back jaw dropping drama with the series premiere of Dynasty right after that. Murder mysteries, steamy shower scenes, dirty family secrets, cat fights, and so much more filled our television screens for two glorious hours, making us yearn for the next episodes the way Jughead craves his burgers and milkshakes from Pop’s. But before we get too carried away, let’s recap what went down on these two shows to get ourselves ready for what is to come this season.

Courtesy of TV Guide

If you thought Jason Blossom’s murder was a big deal, then prepare yourself for what Season 2 of Riverdale has in store. We pick up right where we left off at the end of Season 1, with our sweet Archiekins frantically trying to save his dad after being shot at Pop’s diner. The fate of Fred Andrews is revealed at the end of the episode, but the mystery of his shooter still remains, and it looks like they may have some unfinished business. To check in with our favorite on-screen (and we sure hope off-screen) couple, Bughead, it looks like there’s no trouble in paradise just yet, but a storm might be brewing. The tension of Jughead’s loyalties to both the Southside Serpents and his Riverdale sweetheart might be too much to handle. Will this ruffle Betty’s perfect little ponytail and bring out her dark side once more? And speaking of dark sides, we cannot forget about our favorite crazy girl, Cheryl Blossom. Last we saw her, she was setting her house on fire, and by the looks of it, she is ready to take charge, with a take no prisoners sort of style. Last, but certainly not least, we have the V to our B, Veronica Lodge. Not only is Veronica trying this whole grieving girlfriend thing for the first time, dear ole daddy is back home from prison and I get the feeling she’s no longer into the “Daddy’s Little Girl” vibe anymore. It was great to see all of our beloved favorites back again, even in quite dire circumstances, but there are plenty of new characters to come as well. Does this mean even more trouble? Only time will tell, but it sure looks like the Sweetwater of Riverdale is turning a bit sour.

Courtesy of NY Daily News

Now it may be hard to follow in the footsteps of Riverdale, but the series premiere of Dynasty certainly did not disappoint. If you have been craving that Gossip Girl and Revenge type of show ever since they ended (RIP), then this one is definitely for you. We know the Trumps, we know the Kardashians, and now we know the Carringtons. The basic premise of this revival from the original show in the ‘80s lies within the family. We have Blake Carrington, patriarch of the family and owner of the family business, which apparently equate to the same thing in this household. His two children, Fallon and Steven, are not like-minded in the least, aside from their disdain for their father’s manipulation, but they are the glue that holds each other and the family together. Fallon has been working her way up the business ladder to be able to take over her father’s company; meanwhile Steven counteracts that by trying to save the Earth and have his father accept his sexuality. In addition, Blake is engaged to Cristal Flores, one of his employees and a character with a fair share of her own secrets and perhaps with some ulterior motives. And let us not forget about the oh so loyal help in the house, Joseph Anders and Michael Culhane, the majordomo and chauffeur for the family respectively. These two may just have the most leverage in the household when it comes to dirty little secrets. Without giving too much away, there are secret relationships, sketchy business deals, dark family secrets, and shady betrayals galore. If you want to know more about being in that 1%, then take a look at what it means to be a part of a Dynasty.

In trying to be as spoiler free as possible, I just wanted to give a little taste of what has happened and what is to come. Make sure to tune in next Wednesday to catch the true detectives of Riverdale and keep up with the Carringtons in Dynasty!

Laura Moya

Northeastern

Senior Communications and Media and Screen Studies major with a minor in Business Administration at Northeastern University. From Miami, Florida. Avid coffee drinker, TV junkie, travel lover. President and Campus Correspondent at HCNU.